Chapter 39: Meetings & Situations

James' POV

We're the first ones to arrive at the Cabin and Jessie and I immediately take a seat side by side along the table, my leg bouncing beneath it.

Alex stands by the door, his senses thrown out into the surrounding woods, doing his best to detect any movements or arrivals.

"You okay?" I hear and I turn towards Jessie whose brows are furrowed in worry, but I smile, doing my best to reassure him, though I feel like I'm the one in need of it. "Stop that. I don't need you to tell me the situation will be okay, I need to know if you are okay so I can take care of you." He tells me with a pointed look, and my legs stops as I take a deep breath, wanting to kick myself for spiraling.

You're right. I'm scared. And anxious. And trying to figure out what the fuck this key thing is." I admit in one breath, anxiety clear in my voice, my legs back to bouncing in seconds.

"I'm scared too. And that's okay. If we weren't scared that would make us dumb and reckless. And we're not doing this alone." Jessie reminds me just as Alex straightens up.

"Winter Moon is approaching. Eta three minutes." He mutters lowly, still listening.

"I know. I know. I guess I was hoping for more of an adjustment period before anything crazy happening." I tell him but Jessie only laughed shaking his head.

"Yeah, welcome to life, Jamie." He tells me and I roll my eyes, but looking at his open smile and the dimple that appears when he laughs makes my own lips lift in amusement.

"You're an ass." I grumble but he only reaches over to offer me a kiss on my temple that melts away some of the anxiety that seems ready to pull me under.

"I'm your ass and that's what matters." He tells me with a grin just as Alex opens the door, seconds later, the Alpha and Beta of the Winter Moon pack enter the cabin, acknowledging Alex with a nod before heading towards Jessie and I who stand up to greet them. Alpha Lucas reached out a handshake, and his eyes zero in on the Mark nesting on my neck before flickering to the match one on Cody.

"Mated so soon. What luck Celeste has graced you." He says before heading towards his seat.

"Congratulations, James." Is all the Beta says though from his annoyed look at the back of his Alpha's head, his friend will get more than an earful.

"Limo coming from the northeast. Only one. Probably carpooled. Two minutes." Alex says shaking his head and I agree with the sentiment. The Royal Princess of Melamar going to pick up the younger brother of Lord Delwyn Wells isn't exactly lowkey.

But I keep my mouth shut, only rolling my eyes at Jessie. Sure enough, moments later, Taylor and Art comes through the door, Artemis laughing at something the Earth Faerie said. Both of their eyes light up and I watch as Taylor makes a beeline for Jessie the same time as Artemis rushes towards me with a huge grin.

"Oh my Celeste! You're glowing, James. Under all the worry, but still. Oh, look at that Mark! Are you happy?" She gushes, always one to be enthralled with Mating stories, the hopeless romantic in her stronger than she would care to admit.

"Very. Still trying to believe it's real." I admit with a smile that I can't hide, the joy the Mark I have brings me indescribable, and I don't try to, instead, shooing her to her seat, earning an annoyed glare and a slap on my hands.

'You know she's going to want all the tea. I don't know why you try to deny her.' Sloan snorts, and I only roll my eyes, knowing the the two of them can gossip for hours on end without missing a beat.

"Lord Azrin is here." Alex says before the Mind Faerie appears in front of the door before Alex gets the chance to open it, causing my Beta to jump to my amusement. "Celeste, Azrin how did you did that?"