Chapter 43: Banishment & Panicking

Warrior Jeffery

James' POV

I push my hands through my now birds nest hair through the thousandth time. A part of me wishes I had went with Cody to school to get a distraction, but I remind myself that being Alpha isn't something I can shrug on and off anymore when it fits my needs, the whole pack is relying on me to keep them safe.

It's that thought and the future pledge I want to make with a clear conscious that still has me focused and alert after checking on the Academy and the look out towers being built on White Fang Beach.

That is, until I remember who's waiting for me at the pack house.

I had gotten a text from Zee a half hour ago claiming she came as soon as she heard we were looking for her.

'I don't think I can handle mom.' Sloan admits, and I understand, since he wasn't around much, the most he saw was mom taking care of him after being hurt or after crying and always being willing to go secret shopping. He didn't have to face reality like I did. My father might have kept me frozen in fear, but I was never scared of my mom, the only thing I feel is anger and resignation as I finally reach the pack house.

When I enter the large cabin, I'm not surprised to find the common spaces empty, wolves either at school, Warrior Academy or doing all they can to patrol the pack, safe gaurd the Elders and children and be as prepared as possible for the unknown.

It doesn't feel like enough.

It's never going to feel like enough.

My sigh is heavy and my mind preoccupied by a million things, so I only barely notice my mother when I enter the kitchen as she comes to hug me tightly, placing a kiss to my cheek.

I force myself to focus, sitting down at the island, wishing there was at least Zee around, it being ages since it was just the two of us without fear of thundering footsteps and accusing screams. I feel my chest squeeze, and Sloan shrink away, but I hold firm meeting my moms uncertain eyes as she goes to speak, small talk always having been her forte.

"James, honey, you look amazing! And look at that beautiful Mark! I take it things with Cody ended up exactly as you said. I'm looking forward to getting the Ceremony Invitation." She tells me, hinting about not receiving one already.

"We'll see, whenever the date is set. It's been postponed." I tell her and her reaction is exactly what I expect.

"Postponed? Now why on earth would you do that?" Her tone is surprised and just a hint of condescending, grating my nerves in a way a mother only can.

"Because, Mother, if you hadn't noticed, there's been an alarming increase of not just petty crime, but of murders and violent rapes as well. Homes of Officials including Cody's, Zee's and Alex were raided, threats were made and demands for keys that we know nothing of have been made. Not just to us, but to Winter Moon as well. Having a pack wide event, taking half of Winter Moon's Warriors for guards per tradition would leave all of us vulnerable with our pants caught around our ankles. It would be a fucking massacre. As the Alpha I'm supposed to put the needs of my pack above the needs of my own." I tell her, annoyed that after over twenty years of being Luna she doesn't even understand that much.

Her mouth pinches as she frowns, but before she can continue, I tell her one other thing that has been bothering me ever since I got the information this morning.

"You know what else stops me from doing so? The assailant is an Enchanted and they're working with someone on the inside. Otherwise they wouldn't know where we all lived. Funny thing though, the only house that wasn't rummaged and gone through for this key that was claimed to be here, was our home. And while there was definitely violence there was no targeted attacked until after my father was banished from the pack. So you want to tell me where he is?" I ask her calmly, not breaking eye contact though she's quick to look away, her jaw ticking in annoyance before she turns back towards me.