Chapter 40: Questions & Agreements

Lord Azrin

Jessie's POV

It's a fair question, but as I look around the room I can tell no one quite has the answer.

Even if all of our speculation was true, we have no real evidence and still no one group of people or person to grant responsibility to.

So this is what it means to be a leader.

To be faced with impossible odds and still try to find a way to keep your people safe and take care of.

It's one I deeply admire, but beneath the surface I find myself faced with a fear that we are woefully unprepared and ignorant to what's going on outside of our own borders. Hell, these last few weeks have proven we don't know about much going on within them either.

I raise my hands to rub down my face, a long sigh falling from my lips as I process what's going on.

"It seems like the best thing we can do now is recon. Particularly in Ameden, Indrid, and even some reasons in Melamar. The only way we know where to aim our attention and skills, is to know where the threat is coming from." I assess, looking to James as he nods his agreement and approval.

"Jessie's right. Charlotte would probably be able to get into Ameden without much trouble. I would leave Melamar up to the Faeries." He adds and Artemis answers in kind.

"There's been some weird shifts in power, placements and people lately around the castle. I'm inclined to believe it's related to this matter. Jasper and I will keep an eye on the royal family. Especially my Aunt." She admits and Lord Azrin scoffs.

"Princess Lucile might be a bitch but she wouldn't do something to jeopardize the same Region she believes her daughter should rule." Azrin argues with a dry laugh, and I make sure to note the information, especially with the way it makes Artemis shuffle uncomfortably.

"Okay, well that settles Ameden and the Faerie Capital, what about House of Water, and the other Houses for that matter?" James asks turning towards the other Faeries at the tabled and it's Taylor to speak up first.

"Chelsea and I can definitely look into House of Water and this Kalium Pond that introduced himself the other week." Taylor says calmly with a warm smile, but I can see the calculating look in his eyes. It's clear that he doesn't trust the Commander and my gut is telling me to go with his.

"I shall pry into the other houses, Young James. Keep an eye on Houses Fire and Air in particular." Lord Azrin shares after a moment and there's a stir of confusion around the table, but it's Alpha Lucas that speaks up.

"Why them? Aren't they the only two houses that's not either here or involved?" He asks and he has a good point.

Members of the Royal Family, House of Earth and House of Mind are gathered around this table, accounting for three of the seven Melamarian Divine Houses. Then there's our most suspicious House, Water and House of Spirits which gave us the prophecy and started us down this path to begin with. Five out of seven houses. If they're the only ones not involved why bring them up?

"Exactly. That's as far as we know, but who's to say they aren't secretly involved. House of Fire is lead by a passionate stubborn couple who believe in doing things their own way, regardless of norms or consequences. I'm unfamiliar with their beliefs so I need to see if they will be a help or burden to the cause. And House of Air I am fairly certain will stay out of it. But I wish to ensure that when they do, they don't try to get word to Vilin to have the police and government on this." He explains and it makes sense. The only way we can stay ahead of the curve is if we know all the possible roads.