Chapter 38: Returning & Violations

Cody's POV

The rest of the drive is peaceful and lovely, my nerves calm and centered for the first time in years.

Uncertainty and insecurities are no longer constantly tearing me apart from the inside out, the warm spark pulsing slightly on my neck a testament to everything. Everything I've ever wanted and never dared to dream of.

The belonging and unconditional love of someone who truly understands me.

There's nothing better.

I'm happy, and granted a bit sleepy, by the time James pulls us up in front of the pack house. It's almost four in the afternoon, but surprisingly the front of the House is empty. I step out of the car, grabbing my bag from the back seat and waiting for James to round the car before walking towards the entrance.

Grateful I don't have to deal with a swarm of overbearing wolves like when I left, I try not to question the almost eerie silence but there's no mistaken the faint smell of blood that's lingering in the air. And from the stiffness of James' jaw I can tell he smells it too.

'Maybe one of the wolves gave birth.' Jessie offers, though even he doesn't sound convinced.

As if determined to relax and watch a movie as planned, James doesn't say a thing, just opened the door to the Pack House and ushers me in. And again, the main flood of the House is silent, not even a young wolf scavenging in the kitchen. Still, James presses on. I think about telling him that it's okay if he wants to check in with his team, but I realize that maybe he wasn't quite ready to get back to reality yet.

So I follow him up the stairs towards my room.

When we get to the third floor though, the eerie feeling that had sent chills down my neck now lands like a weight in my stomach. Because the door that I was so careful to lock when we left, is now left slightly ajar, one of the hinges broken allowing light to kiss the hallway.

When James sees what made me pause, he's quick to step around me and rush towards the door, swinging it open to reveal whatever horrid lay beyond the door. My hands are shaking so bad, In fear I might drop my bag full of leftover cake from the diner we tried this weekend. I take the few agonizing steps before turning towards my room, my throat closing up, stopping the screams of grief that claw up my throat from releasing.

Because it's all gone.

My room has been gutted, every pillow shredded, every book from the shelf too, several with spines broken or pages missing. My swing has been cut down and torn apart, my clothes in random piles around my room. From here I can see the bathroom is the same, and the reality of what happened comes crashing down on me at once.

Before I can think, I'm forcing myself into the room, going straight for the desk that sits in a corner. All the drawers have been emptied, but I get into my knees, and fumble for the release on the side of the seemingly smooth wood until I find it. The latch pops open and right there are the box full of things that I kept from my parents house, and the folder with all their information. I crush the items to my chest, sobbing as I thank Celeste that they're still here. One of my hands goes into my hair, pulling at it roughly, rage and sorrow and violation tearing through me as I cry. I can hear James trying to talk to me, but I can barely make out his words.

Eventually I feel large strong arms circle me, lifting me from the ground and placing me on a bed I hardly even recognize.

"Hey, bean. Look at me." I manage to make out, and with teary eyes I lift my head, my scalp stinging harshly from me pulling it, my hands safely in James' stopping me from hitting myself or the walls or everything, emotions tearing me apart from the inside out, the one safe haven I had, gone. "I know this is hard right now, and I'm sorry you have to deal with it at all, but this concerns you, and I need you. Can you let Jessie have control, please? Let us handle this so you can calm down, baby." James tells me and I nod more than happy to pull away into the soothing darkness away from the horror that James is sickeningly calling reality.