Chapter 53: Preperations & Surprises

James' POV

As I walk through the halls of the Warrior Academy, I can't help but look at my watch for the hundredth time since I stepped into the building twenty minutes ago. Today, just like every day for the past week, has been filled with loads of paperwork, decision making and meetings.

Alex is walking with me towards the next person I need to talk to, asking the last few questions he can squeeze in.

"You want the Winter Moon leaders in the front row in the left with friends and our very apparent lack of family on the right for the first three rows. After the the pack can fill in, right?" He confirms and I nod allowing him to move on. "Separate moments or a shared one?"

"Shared. Let Amelia Autumn help you do it. It'll show a unified front between us and the Elder Council. They need that reassurance." I'm able to answer after thinking for a moment. Alex nods writing some notes down before rapid firing more detail questions about the ceremony until the clock strikes five o'clock and Head Warrior Jeffery's last class of the day is over. I arrive in his hallway as the doors open and kids spill out, Alex taking it as his cue to take the information I gave him where needed as I transition into another task.

'I can't wait until things slow down enough to the point that we are two steps away from running around like a headless chicken.' Sloan mutters in mild annoyance.

I know after everything that's happened these past few weeks compounded into all we've gone through our entire lives has left not only him, but I as well waiting for the chance to truly be in a space of peace and happiness. We deserve to enjoy it more than we are, and we will. After these next few days, it'll be smooth sailing from here.

The promise keeps my spirits high as Jeffery leaves the classroom, coming over once we sees me waiting across the hall.

"Good afternoon, Alpha. You ready to head to the beach?" He asks me, clearly already prepared to head out, and I nod, always gateful when someone puts in the effort to be prepared, though it doesn't stop me from ticking down the seconds of the day wishing for once they would go by just a little bit faster.

"Yeah, let's go." I tell him and the two of us make our way out of the school and through the village, making our way south towards White Fang Beach.

We walk, discussing the patrols and rotations of the new units we have posted throughout the pack, including the beach. Lately being a Warrior has been about having a badge of honor to show that you're capable of taking care of your family and defending the pack of you need to. But slowly we're starting to get back to our roots, a sense of duty causing more and more young wolves to join the Academy, students taking things more seriously and getting better grades then they have in decades.

I find myself not scared or anxious of what's to come, merely expectant.

Curious.

Intrigued.

"You know almost ten Omegas have enrolled in the Academy in the last month alone? Between Luna Cody and Charlotte, they're inspiring a lot of kids and people out there. They're showing them that you can be strong and protect your pack and your people even if you're not the strongest. Even if you aren't the toughest. As long as you have grit and the will to push past your limits, we can push through anything." Jeffery muses out loud. 

I can't help the joy and excitement that fills me from hearing the news, a part of me wanting to run to Cody straight away and tell him that he's done for others what no one was brave enough to do for him.

"That's amazing. Not only is it empowering for Omegas, but it only gives us a key advantage. Charlotte's camouflage is perfect for recon and spy work. And Cody's mana vision is great for defense, traps and getting a sense of someone. Imagine having a whole unit of Omegas or just two on every team. It would help balance out the playing field." I admit and Jeffery nods.