Chapter 48: Battles & Willpower

Athena

Cody's POV

Every second that ticks by is an agonizing hour, pure terror filling me like a leaky tap, thoughts of my Mark being slashed to ribbons, James and I disconnected forever, are enough to consume me.

After six long agonizing years of solitude and unyielding depression that sat like an elephant on my chest, it meant everything to me to be lucky enough to have such an amazing man as my Soulmate. Someone so caring, kind, and patient. Someone strong and encouraging.

I foolishly thought that somehow, things would be okay. I had reached the part in the story where we're supposed to live happily ever after right?

Well no one ever tells you that getting the guy isn't the fairy tale ending we were led to believe.

Sometimes it's the beginning to the worst horror you've never dreamed in your life.

My breathing is shallow as I try not to move, my ears alert for any sounds of fighting, but there still aren't any.

I start to lose hope, doubting that James will get here in time to stop Makayla from taking everything away out of spite. The feeling of dread only worsens when my ears manage to make out the eerie sounds of Richard's steps coming towards the tent. I try to blink away the tears that form and swallow the panic that rises, but I find myself pushes against the post behind me, as if it could somehow consume me and swallow me whole.

I think about using the key to escape and shift, knowing I could outrun them all, but Charlottes words hold me hostage.

Their plan is entirely based on the Rouges and Makayla staying exactly where they are. If they're chasing after me, not only will their plan fail, but once she's done with me, Makayla will eventually send her entire team of rouges and shadows to kill and terrorize Vollmond.

As much as I want I stay with James in the bliss of love, I can't live with the weight of that on my shoulders.

I'm not just a wolf trying to save my own skin, even if it's just for a few more minutes, I'm supposed to be the next Luna of the Autumn Falls Pack. How could I turn my back of them now?

So I square my shoulders as those harsh dragging footsteps creep towards the tent, biting the inside of my cheek to focus on the pain instead of the fear. But Richard stops a few steps away from the flaps of the tent, and I frown, trying to figure out why, that is, until I hear the faint sounds of growls in the distance, people outside of the tent suddenly rushing around, calling to arms and warning of invading wolves and Faeries.

There's a growled curse that comes from Richard before he's storming away, barking out orders to the scrambling Rouges. Using the opportunity that the chaos brings, I quickly untuck the key Charlotte gave me when she came in.

Praying to Celeste that she was right about it working, I push the key into the lock and twist it, nearly collapsing with relief before I quickly remove the cuff around my ankle. I stretch once I'm free, mana flowing into my, my injuries healing faster, my energy returning along with my ability to shift.

There's a dagger with runes I don't understand lying on a table, and I grab the weapon, hoping to not need it, but refusing to be caught off guard unprepared again.  

Not wanting to get caught, I'm slow and careful to make my way towards the flaps where the sounds of fighting are getting closer and closer.

Taking my chances, I move the flap to peak out of the tent, but find the heart of the camp empty, everyone facing the intruders towards the north of the camp from the sounds of things.