Chapter 14: Tea & Prophecies

James' POV

I relax on the couch in Artemis' living room in her Princess suite as her and her closest friend here, Chelsea gets ready with Artemis' maid, Anna. Feeling a bit stifled in a monkey suit, I try to distract myself by refreshing my memory on the High Lords and Ladies of the Faerie Court. Over the four plus years that Artemis and me have been friends, I've come to remember and even like some of the High Lords, some of them respecting and acknowledging my position as Alpha rather than sneering down on it with pity. Lady and Lord Blazen of the House of Fire are my particular favorites along with the outspoken and headstrong Lord Azrin. Things are always amusing whenever they are in attendance.

Though if I get the chance I'd rather avoid the House of Water in particular. They're a stuck up old fashioned family that puts blood purity and natural born strength above all else. Well except power of course. Which they have in abundance, not that they don't take the chance to remind everyone of this when there's a second to spare.

I hear Anna, Chelsea and Artemis begin to wrap things up and I stand from the couch and turn around to see Artemis in a stunning golden day dress, with Chelsea in an adorning green to match her pledged Household. From what she's told me she's the second in Command to Lord Delwyn Wells- the High Lord of the House of Earth. They're the second strongest Division within the entire Faerie Army. He's also the youngest Faerie in history to become a High Lord so it makes sense that between her close ties with Artemis and the House of Earth, why Chelsea would be able to attend such an exclusive event.

And also probably why some hate my attendance. You can learn a lot from High Court.

"You ladies look as beautiful as ever." I say sweeping a dramatic bow that has Artemis rolling her eyes and Chelsea pretending she's not blushing.

"Why thanks, your wolfiness. Let's go before we're chewed out for being late." Artemis says, shooing the two of them from the living room and towards the grand doors adorned with Faeries slaying Daemons and Forsaken alike with majestic grace visible even through carved stone.

'How come they're the only ones who gets to wear a dress? I have the legs and ass of a super model. We're depriving the world of perfection James. That's a serious offense.' Sloan shames me, shaking his head in disappointment as Artemis opens toe doors, two of her personal gaurds standing on either side.

I recognize the twins Marco and Marcus as they turn, hands resting causally on their blades, with their noses already scrunched up. "Who put the beast in a dress?" Marco asks, making a face as his brother laughs, the guards further down the hall stifle their own laughter, trained to keep straight faces through any situation. Except lifelong friends and now guards making fun of their dearest friend, sister and Princess.

Something they would be executed for if anyone ever found out, though I suspect it's only because of Artemis' fondness of them that they haven't been already.

"Shut the hell up and escort your goddamn Princess." Artemis retorts, snapping at them to hurry. They bicker at each other as we walk down the hall and through the maze that is this castle towards the Throne room. Anna and I catch up as we wind through the halls, more examples of the Faeries superior attitude decorate across the walls and display glasses, showcasing their strength and history.

It takes a lot for me to not roll my eyes.

'I'll do it for you. Pretentious assholes. Everything will be different when Artemis is Queen.' Sloan adds and I can't help but agree with him.

We finally reach the throne room, the doors thrown open in invitation, inviting music and the warm welcoming smell of food pulls us in, Artemis' guards peeling off our tails to go stand along the perimeter of the room along with the other guards and servants.