Chapter 44: Information & Threats

Cody's POV

I struggle to open my eyes when I come to, my head throbbing and my body sore all over.

My eyes finally adjust to the light and I find my lip cut and mouth dry as I try to take in my surroundings and my last waking moments wash over me.

Sure enough, when my vision clears, I find myself inside the tent that Makayla used when she gave us our Runes. Anger and shame wash over me, hating the fact that I didn't ask more questions, leaving us vulnerable and unguarded against our biggest concern.

The vast wall across from me where tapestries hung is now uncovered, revealing a sickening sight. There are dozens and dozens of candid pictures of both James and I and other members of our pack and Winter Moon. In some sick twisted display, I can see notes from each picture, all of them attached to a string that eventually connects back to the middle where the words 'Key to Heaven' are written in bold.

Again with the fucking key.

Though this time, it seems like we finally have a confirmation to our theory. We had wondered if whatever key that was being asked for was special, and a Key that could unlock the Gates to Heaven would be worth killing for indeed in the name of Satan.

I try to use my mind connection once more, but all I'm met with is a thick static. The Rune on my arm is fading away, this one must being a temporary spell, the chains that I find wrapped around my ankles covered in anti mana spells. I sigh to myself, wishing there was a way to warn James when suddenly the flaps to the tent are pushed open and Makayla walks through the tent.

With a glimpse into outside, I realize that we're not in the bustling streets or secret alleyway of Revelia. Using my nose to confirm, I recognize the smell of wolves, lake water and pine trees, Vollmond's unmistakable scent that only comforts me now. Thought it doesn't serve much of a comfort when I realize where exactly we are in Vollmond knowing of only one place where Makayla could set up base and walk around freely without fear of being caught.

The Rougelands.

The realization sends chills down my back, fear striking my heart as I remember the cold and cruel way my family died at the hands of Rouges.

My heart is in my throat as I watch Makayla come around until she's standing in front of me, a wicked smile placed on his lips. But what I'm stricken by the most are the Devil horns that are on top of her head, the glamour spell clearly gone.

"I see you've finally woken up. Nice of you to join me." She says, studying me with an amused and self righteous smirk that makes me want to bite her Witchy head off. "You know, it was almost too easy to play all of you right into my hands." She brags, but I don't take the bait, wanting the gather as much information as I can so I can try to be helpful if I manage to make it out of here.

"It was you that killed that poor Hybrid after you summoned those Shadows didn't you?" I ask her, though I already know the answer. She laughs and looks at me as if I'm adorable.

"Wow, I really have to spell it out for you. As soon as I knew Vollmond had what I needed, it was simply a matter of finding it. After a few late night trips of sneaking around and searching everywhere, I realized someone must be hiding it. So I started trouble to unsettle you into moving the key, or lead me to whoever has it. And it still didn't work. No matter how many times I warned you or how many people I used as examples, you just wouldn't give me the key. So now, I'm using you, Mate to Alpha James and Luna to Autumn Falls as leverage. If they don't hand it over, you'll all die, and I'll find the key among your corpses." She explains calmly, not even flinching as she describes what she's done and is planning to do.