Chapter 45: Gathering & Worry

Amelia Autumn

James' POV

My heart squeezes with every moment, dread filling me as the minutes tick by and Cody is all alone suffering through Celeste knows what.

Jeffery and Charlotte flank me as we walk into the Elder's Sanctuary, the Warriors standing guard noting our energy choosing to be smart and hold their positions allowing the three of us to walk through.

Knowing that the Elders meet just about every fucking day to talk about menial shit, I make a beeline for the Elder's Chambers, throwing the door open without so much as a knock. The Head Councilmember, Walter, is at the floor talking, but I ignore him, waking onto the stage, Charlotte nearly pushing the man off and back to his seat.

There's some murmurs and of course some blatant cries of disrespect, but I ignore them all as I go to speak.

"Our Luna Cody has been kidnapped at school by an Enchanted who is half Witch. A skilled one. We don't know where they are now, but when we do, I will need the entire Autumn Falls Artillery on standby. I doubt she's working alone, and if we have to deal with those Shadows, we'll need all the help we can get." I tell them leaving no room for arguing.

The older lady towards the end of the second row, Zelda Umber, is of course the first to speak up. "Do you think that if you barge into our private Chambers with the Head Warrior and Spy Master we would be oh so compelled to do whatever a child wants?" She sneers, distain dripping in every word.

I should have guessed that the council, as old as they are, might not take too kindly to me banishing a man that they saw grow up and turn into the Alpha they've had for the last twenty years.

That fucking bastards going to haunt me until I kneel over I swear to Celeste.

I take a deep breath knowing this isn't the time to lose my cool. "I am no child. I am the Alpha of this pack, and soon, I will no longer need to come to you for these things. Continue to sabotage my efforts, and I will have this entire council pulled and replaced with Amelia as the Head Councilmember. I do not have time for childish games and petty drivel." I snap, barely holding back a growl and while some shift in their seats, sitting a bit straighter, their amused looks dropping from their faces, of course it couldn't be that easy.

"Yes, you are a child, boy. You have yet to turn turn twenty, and you haven't had your Coming of Power Ceremony. You think because you bullied your father in front of the pack and found your Mate that you're a man now? You're nothing more than a fool making selfish decisions." Another woman spits on the other side of the room, around the same age of the other, her name time reading Anna Barnes.

"How dare you speak of your Luna that way. Our Ancestors would be ashamed." I almost have a heart attack from shock when it's Charlotte to respond, pure rage evident on her face.

"I would think you of all people would know better Charlotte." Samuel Parish says, just as fucking charming as he was yesterday.

"I have always looked up to their Council and the Elders because of the values and beliefs I thought you upheld. Wolves are supposed to represent loyalty, strength and family. All you're showing is cowardice and self interest. You must not be ready to give up that power yet." Comes from me left, Warrior Jeffery's voice loud and clear, the distain unmistakable in his tone.

"How dare you speak to your Elders this way." Walter yells, standing up as he slams his open palm on the long table. "We are the backbone of this pack and will not be spoken to otherwise. Cody is not our Luna as you are not yet our Alpha. If he's unable to protect himself, and if your theories of Shadows are correct, why should we put so many innocent people in danger for one wolf, over something we don't have any idea about. It's illogical and a purely emotional misuse of power to allow you to kill our esteemed Warriors. You would do best to remember your place." He reminds me, my fists clenching at my sides to stop myself from launching over the table. As much as I want to beat this asshole bloody and make good on my threats immediately, getting to Cody is more important.