Chapter 13: Disappointment & Histories

Cody's POV

"Oooohhh look who's pouting." I hear from behind me and I scowl in return, crossing my arms as Taylor snickers and takes the seat across from me. The lunch room is bustling and yet I can clearly see James sitting at his table of literal VIPs across the room.

"I'm not pouting. I'm just upset that I have to change my plans that were already set in stone." I correct Taylor but it sounds flat and full of shit even to me.

Curse my stupid Alpha for putting these thoughts and ideas into my head. I was perfectly fine patiently waiting for my birthday to come and wait for either magic or chance to lead me to the love of my life. And now the possibility of having found them already and James being who he is is enough to send me into a spiral. Taylor laughs at me while shaking his head, picking a fry off of his plate while shooing a strand of hair away that fell from his sloppy bun. He points the fry at me before taking a bite, his smile teasing as he goes to speak. "For all your shit you haven't been able to say that he's wrong. So that must mean you feel something." Taylor observes and I want to slap him over the head and avoid the conversation. But of course my Faerie asshole of a friend won't be helpful on that front.

"I heard you finally met Enza's twin." I muse, switching subjects and rather than fight me on it, Taylor chuckles and allows it, the two of us talking about him and Enza's growing bond for the rest of lunch.

When it's time to leave, Taylor and I walk out of the cafeteria together stopping in the large hallway to chat for a second before splitting off. "Do you want to come out with the four of us after school? It'll be me, my brother, Enza, and his sister." He explains but I'm already shaking my head before he can finish.

"Thanks, but no. I've been procrastinating starting on a project for Mental Health Ed and I don't want to fall behind." I admit to him even if the idea of having to complete the stupid project makes my stomach churn and chest tight.

"Okay. If you change your mind text me. I don't know if I'll see you after school my brother is sending a car." He tells me and I nod along, making sure to give a reassuring smile when he peaks at me.

"Okay. See you later." I tell him and he waves before we're going our seperate ways to our next class.

The rest of the day at school drags on into a endless stream of faces and information that for the most part I don't care about. I still do my best to pay attention, but by the time the last bell rings and I'm walking towards my locker, all I can think is that it's kind of a relief that I don't have practice with James after school. I couldn't even imagine having the mental capacity to be able to not only show off my moves and work together coherently with someone, but to also keep up a  conversation? All of it combined makes me want to curl into a ball and hide in the nearest cave.

But since fate spared me that overstimulation, I close my locker after grabbing all of my stuff and head out of the building. As soon as I'm out of the door and past all the obnoxiously slow Supers, I kick my pace up to super speed, enjoying the freeing feeling of wind in my hair. I'm careful to avoid other running supers that run parallel to me, watching the way the beautiful scenery melts into a beautiful melting pot of spinning colors. With my speed it doesn't even take me a full fifteen minutes to get home, my pace not slowing until I hit the borders of Wolf Woods. A few other wolves are walking into the pack lands as well, cars only a mild inconvenience for those of us that move at least three times faster than any given car. Mostly Hybrids and Important higher ups use them unless it's for a cross country trip.

Finally, I jog up the stairs to the Pack House, frowning in annoyance when the loud chatter from the living room reaches my ears. When I walk down the hallway and turn the corner, I find about ten wolves sitting on the floor, doing homework, relaxing or even doing things like reading.