Chapter 58: Peace & Endings

Cody's POV

I walk through the dewey grass with a warm mug in hand, a blanket wrapped around my shoulders, my torso bare beneath the cloth.

James is still sleeping inside peacefully, the sweet man exhausted after helping Jeffery with training yesterday, the Head Warrior getting along nicely with my lover and Alex.

The sun hasn't peaked over the horizon yet, even Jessie still asleep, the world and my moms quiet and at peace. I remember a time when noise would cripple me and the quiet would terrifying me, each pervasive and horrid in their own right. But now, as I step out into our clearing and make my way outwards the big rock that looks out over the lake. I lay my blanket on top of the stone before climbing to sit on top of it, lifting the blanket to cover my shoulders as I look out over the shimmering water.

It's been almost six months since Artemis left, opening up a scary new beginning for us all, but I would like to say we've handled it well.

Alex, with more free time now that we've all graduated is a part time instructor at the Academy, I imagine trying to fill the empty pockets of time he find himself with. He doesn't want my want me to see that he's struggling but he is.

I can tell he's trying hard not to. He's always first to volunteer for extra shifts, helping kids that are struggling in their classes and would otherwise be held back, and ping ponging all around the pack to be useful. James tried to get his sister to visit, but apparently she made up some excuse about unrefundable tickets.

So far, I'm not seeing much great about the girl, but I try to hold my opinion, knowing it comes for worry.

Thankfully things have been calm, no Shadows are any issues have come up. The White Cabin meetings went form once a week, to once a month until we finally agreed to pause the meetings until something came up.

I miss them all, but I would rather we all be so focused on building our lives without fear and danger than to see them every week because of it.

I look at the lake in front of me, the smooth surface of it mirroring the sky, looking like a blanket of clouds. I imagine my family there, like I have been lately, for some reasons finding some sort of connection with them in this place though that could always be my own brain since this place is special to me already.

"Hey, mom and dad." I start, whispering to myself as I bring my knees up to my chest, resting my chin on top of my knees. "Things have been going good. The little girl, Angelica that I've been in charge of said her first words. She's a little late with the trauma of what happened, but she's really starting to open up." The memory of baby Angel trying to say my name so warms my heart calling me 'Wuwa' his best attempt at my Luna title. I sigh as I place a hand to my stomach. "And there's still no luck with trying either. I don't know if it's because I'm half human or maybe it's just not our time, I just- I want this so bad. I know I should have trust and patience. I just don't know what to do with all this pain and sadness in the meantime." I admit quietly.

I'm quiet for a moment as I pull out the leather pouch from my pocket, loosening the strings to pull out the Luna Locket.

I look at it every day as a reminder of my promise, but this morning when I did, it called out to me, compelling me to grab it. As I hold it in the palms of my hands, the first rays of light reaches across the horizon and lands on the locket, the light stretching and reaching and lift above the ground and spread its light across the land. As it rises, I find myself turning the locket onto the back, realizing that I've never done so before.

There's a spot towards the center of the bottom that seems to be a leaf, the tiniest hole open, though something slightly metallic sticking out from it.

Intrigued, I press the hole, cursing when I prick my finger on the leaf, my blood visible on whenever it is in there. For a second it feels like the locket gets warm in my hands, but as I try to press it against my face, I feel nothing, a trick of the rising sun that has me sighing. I shake my head and place the necklace back in my pocket, laughing to myself quietly as I bathe in the beautiful sun.

"But it's okay." I finally continue, reassuring my parents though I'm not even sure they can hear me. "And I'm more than okay, I'm happy. I miss you guys so much, but I live every day, making sure there's a little more left of you in this world. Thank you for leading me down this path."

I tell them, saying goodbye to my parents blowing them a kiss before I grab my blanket and hop off of my rock, making my way back home in the soft wet grass that tickles my bare toes.

After all I've been through the last year, I find myself with more excitement and anticipation than anything else when I think about the future.

Because even though things might be scary.

And sometimes we get thrown into things before we think we're prepared for them, there's one things I've learned through it all.

If you care enough and you're willing to put in the effort, nothing, whether it's love, peace, independence or strength is Unattainable.

Find your boundaries and push past your limits.

Life stops for no one.

So live.

✨The End✨

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Holy fucking shit I can't believe I did it. I'm not going to celebrate yet though, not until I finish the Epilogue. I can't believe I really did five chapters in like six hours today. Idk about you guys but I'm happy with this book from start to finish.

Thoughts?

Comments?

QOTD: Whats the biggest positive AND negative change between this Unattainable and the original?