Chapter 33: Planning & Blushing

This is what Jessie looks like now

James' POV

I recall the conversation Cody and I had almost a week ago after the White Cabin Meeting we had after the Earth Attack as I book our stay on the website.

"You've never been to the beach before?" I remember asking him, confused on how anyone over the age of five could claim such a thing with a straight face, but he shook his head solemnly.

"The day that my family died... we were in the middle of getting ready for our first day trip to the beach. Our parents said they always said they'll take us but always postponed. Finally they just said let's do it. We didn't even make it in the car. So no. I never got to go to the beach. I couldn't bring myself to do it afterwards either." He had confessed before I comforted him, holding him and caressing him with sweet nothings until he fell asleep.

With the conversation in mind, I book the two of us a beautiful beach house, one just off the shores of Vilin, even if that means paying double as much than if we went to one of the few Vollmond beaches. But we can go there anytime, and Cody deserves for this birthday of all birthdays to go perfectly.

I try to ignore the growing knot in my stomach, the last week or so of stress allowing it to grow from a small pin to a grapefruit size ball of nerves settles in my stomach where I should have been able to put food and ice cream instead.

'It's okay to be nervous. This is going to change everything from here on out either way. It's natural for you to want to get it perfect. Just dial it back on the crazy, pookie.' Sloan tells me and while it's said in a light and teasing way, I know he means it. I take a deep breath and try to get my head on calmly, before finishing the reservations and packing away my laptop in the almost packed suitcase.

There's only one more day until his birthday. Tomorrow at tweleve o'clock am, for better or for worse, we'll know if we truly are soulmates.

I've been getting less and less sleep as the days go on, instead finding myself just watching Cody committing his face to memory, wishing I could grab time within the palm of my hand and crush it forever.

I return my suitcase to the hiding place in his closet I've been keeping it these past few days, his own small blue one mostly packed as well. I thought it was took risky at first, but once I took clothes from his messy overstuffed draws rather his organized closet it was easy to slip a couple outfits by without his notice. Though this morning I did hear him complaining about not being able to find a specific pair of pants.

I lay on the bed with my legs hanging off of the side, giving my mind a little peace and quiet for a few minutes before Cody finally gets out of the shower.

I leave my arm over my eyes, enjoying the stillness of the darkness behind my eyelids and the softness of the quiet.

"You seem tired, Jamie. Seems like someone's been neglecting to take care of themselves." I hear and my mouth goes dry, recalling the sultry lower voice of Jessie. I still haven't gotten used to the way Cody and I's appearance change when our wolves take control. It's amazing and personal and seemingly perfect all the way around. What I didn't expect is how flustered Jessie would make me.

I keep my eyes covered for a completely different reason, painfully aware of the fact that Jessie just got of the shower and his body is probably still steaming from his shower. I try my best not to think about the water dripping down his broad bare chest down into the loosely tied towel around his waist.

Or the way water gathers on the tip of his lashes, mesmerizing me, taunting me.

"I'm a little tired. I've been preparing for tomorrow." I admit, gulping when I feel the bed dip on either side of me, heat spilling from Jessie and pressing against my legs as he straddles me in the air, the bed dipping beside either side of my head as he lowers onto all fours, his head right above my arm. I would like to think that he can't see the way my neck and face light up, but I know he can, flustered beyond reason by this sexy domineering man. The extra inch he claims he grows in height whenever he shifts feels like ten the way he commands my attention and needs, though I would die before I admit it.