Chapter 34: Drives & Admissions

Cody's POV

I sit in my swing, my legs tucked beneath me, my favorite stuffie placed on my lap as I watch James scurry around my room, gathering all the things he thought I didn't notice.

For the past week now, James has been sneaking around, clearly trying to put something together for my birthday, but I didn't say a word. Partly because I recognized how much effort and trouble he went through to surprise me with whatever his plan is, and partly because it feels nice, admittedly, to have someone care so much and pay so much attention to something you yourself have barely noticed for the past six years.

Before I would have claimed that it was only because he thinks I'm his Mate, but I know without a doubt that James loves me, Sloan, too. It would be an insult to them to think they want to do anything but love me.

Something I'm still getting used to.

All of us share a big table at lunch now, the royal Faeries still having to remind me to drop the formalities. At home, I'm either hanging out with James and Sloan, training with one of his- our- commanders, or going out with Taylor and Enza.

My life is so full.

For once I don't shy away from the idea of my family somehow being able to watch me from their resting place in the Eternal Forrest. Instead of shame and regret, I carry pride on my shoulders as I view the life I've managed to build with the help of James.

He leaves to go put some bags into the car he rented, claiming the car ride is an essential part of the journey.

I stand up, placing my stuffie in my bookbag full of snacks, walking towards my dresser along the wall. I pick up one of the pictures displayed along the top, smiling down at the last family photo we took, my glasses askew and my hair unruly, bunny ears peaking from behind my head thanks to Casey. Our smiles are bright and big, our family never knowing heartache or strife until that day. I used to hate looking at this, and all of my pictures. They only seemed to remind me of a time long gone and a love lost in the past. But now, now I look at my family in fondness, grateful for the time I had with them, thankful to Celeste for leading me towards James when we needed each other the most.

I place the picture back and turn around just as I hear steps coming down the hall, James opening the door with an excited smile before coming towards me.

I wrap my arms around his neck, his touch comforting and stimulating all at once, the essence of him all consuming and not enough.

"The car is packed. I just need to grab your book bag and your adorable ass." James tells me with a kiss, letting me go to pick up my bag, swinging it on his shoulder.

"Well, I hope you plan on bringing me, too. If my ass doesn't take up too much space, that is." I joke back, enjoying the teasing that we've fallen into.

James laughs, shaking his head at me as he steps into the hallway, waiting for me to close and lock the door behind me, placing my keys into my bookbag before we're off. We walk downstairs in comfortable silence, my mind preoccupied with guesses of where we're going hoping to stop myself from freaking out and giving my anxiety free reign. We make it to the last floor and I jump in shock when dozens of voices suddenly shout: "Happy Birthday, Luna Cody!"

Stunned, it takes me a moment for my brain to catch up, realizing that the common space is decorated with balloons and streamers, a banner hung from wall to wall against the tall ceiling.

My eyes water as Zee and Alex approach me first, Zee moving in for a hug while Alex just stands there like a proud dad, his arms crossed in front of his chest as he smiles broadly. "Happy Birthday, Luna. You deserve this. You both do. Don't loose faith now." Zee tells me, raising my hands to kiss them luck before she steps aside with a wink.