Chapter 16: Talks & Meetings

James' POV

'Meet me at the Café tomorrow at 10. I owe you a conversation.'

I stare at the text I sent Jessica last night, knowing that Saturday mornings are the only time during the week that she's not busy doing something else. Her father constantly has her doing research and studying for when she eventually takes over his seat at the Council.

Anxiety pools in my stomach as well as anticipation. I've been avoiding this conversation but Zee was right, it's not fair to anyone if I tried to hide from this.

Not to mention the thought of an Alpha running from feelings is enough to make my own warriors give me a side eye that I don't need.

I school my breathing, taking a deep breath and rolling out my neck, earning a few pops, to help calm myself down. Two minutes and a few more deep breaths later, I see Jessica open the door to the Hybrid owned cafe. The wolf-vamp asks if she wants anything, but Jessica waves her off and looks around the cafe until she finds my strained face.

Reminding myself and my heart to stay calm so Jessica doesn't notice something is up and get upset, and cause a scene.

Precisely why I picked a public spot, less likely to end this in a fight or argument. I have other things on my mind that I need to focus on, not her. Not anymore.

'Wow, James.' Is all Sloan says and he doesn't offer an explanation as she approaches and I go to stand up to greet her.

Her brows are already arched in exepectation, her mouth set in a thin line of impatience and I realize that this is going to be an uphill battle.

"Hey Jess, thanks for coming." I greet her and she just hums in acknowledgment before sitting down. I take my seat across from her and search for a way to start, feeling completely unprepared for this conversation.

'I know I never cared for Jessica deeply because I knew it wouldn't last, but even I would be able to handle this conversation better than you. Men.' He scoffs at me before he decides to take his leave, my wolf leaving me to deal with me owing mess myself. Typical. 'You need to start taking responsibility James. You're supposed to run the Autumn Falls pack, and yet you can't even handle a conversation with your supposed girlfriend. Sad really.' He sighs before fading away.

With red cheeks and a burning sense of humility shooting through me, I clear my throat and decide to go for it, knowing that I have no choice but to get it over with.

"So, I know that I have kind of been MIA for the past week or so." jessica scoffs and rolls her eyes at the admission, majorly unimpressed at my attempts at apologizing. "That was completely unfair of you and you didn't deserve that." I start, but before I can continue, she cuts me off, her eyes flickering lightly between her sweet green eyes and black, her wolf, Jasmine not a fan of mine at the moment either apparently.

"James, I know we were never as close as you Alex and Zee, but I thought that we were close enough and had an understanding that as long as we were honest with each other, we would be compassionate and understanding without judgment. You took that choice away from me while avoiding me. I'm sure you forgot that my birthday was this week." She snarls at me, but it isn't one of anger and violence, but of hurt and pain. My chest feels like it's hit with a ton of bricks, guilt racking my stomach. Knowing that I need to stop this before I hurt her any further, but also not wanting to talk about something that might make her even more upset, I settle to apologize, hoping to save Cody for another conversation, preferably after he's turned eighteen. 

"You're right, Jess, and I'm sorry. I haven't been totally honest with you. I want to break up." I tell her, avoiding her eyes, though I can't avoid the sharp but expected intake of breath and the way it pulls at me. "Between my parents planning on being around more, becoming Alpha in a few months, and with a bunch of things that have come up with the pack and crime, I've been so busy and it's only going to get worse. Not to mention all the preparations you have to go through in order to become a Council Member. It's all been weighing on me and I don't have it in me to upkeep a relationship." The unspoken words are as loud as the chatter around us.