Chapter 42: Normalacy & Shadows

Makayla

Cody's POV

I rub my temples as the early sun rises, the meeting yesterday long and tedious. James finally managed to convince the Elder Council to begin war training at the Warrior Academy, though they refused to budge on dispatching the force into his control. But what else he managed to do, was convince the Council to put out a search for Richard and his wife to ask them questions about the key and see if any suspicions have foundation. I can tell it bothered him, but he hasn't slowed down to talk about any of it since we've come back.

James is already up making calls on his phone, shorts hanging low on his hips, hair still a mess from him waking me up in the middle of the night with his mouth around my cock.

He turns when he sees me sit up, bringing my knees to my chest, and comes over to give me a smile and a kiss which I happily take. I wait for him to finish his conversation, wanting so badly to break out of this place. Ever since we got home from my birthday vacation I'm always training, learning about the pack, or at the Nursery & Home. While I love being apart of something bigger than me, I really need to get out of this fucking cage before I explode.

Finally, James ends the call, walking over to me with a smile as he reaches for me hands. I place them into his and allow him to softly pull me up into his arms. He ticks my head into the nape of his neck, and I kiss the Mark that bares my scent before resting my head on his shoulder.

"What's going on, Cody? I can tell somethings up." He asks, always knowing me so well.

"I know there's a lot of things going on in the pack right now, but I want to go back to school. I don't have sixty Professional Leave days as you. In fact, I haven't even been to school to change my course, or be there for anything they've been learning. I'm going crazy, and I'm falling behind. I need to go to school." I tell him earnestly, and from the way he tightens his hold on me I can tell he doesn't like the idea, but after a moment he sighs and let's go enough to catch my gaze.

"You're right. And it's not fair to you to keep you holed you like this. I'm worried whatever is out there is going to come for us the moment we let our guard down." He admits, rubbing my arms in comfort. "If you really want to go to school today, I won't stop you. Just... if I text or call you please answer so I know you're okay. Other than that, I promise not to bother you while you're there." He tells me and I breath a sigh of relief, grateful he's always so willing to be understanding.

I reach up and place a kiss on his cheek and give my first full hearted smile I've had in a while. "Thanks. Maybe we can meet in the clearing after school for a picnic and you can catch me up on the day?" I offer, still wanting to play my role and do what I can, and to my delight, James nods with a grin.

"I would love that, baby. I'll start school back up next week when I'm sure all preparations and training and communication lines are underway. I have to go meet with Charlotte and her spy unit before heading over to White Fang Beach to see how the watchtowers are coming along. And I was told that they've already been able to locate my mother. I'm going to head out so I'm free when you get back." He tells me leaning in for a deep kiss that leaves me slightly breathless before pulling away, grabbing his belongings from the side table. "I love you, bean." He tells me with a wink and a blowed kiss, though it's hard to ignore the crease of worry in his brow.

"I love you, too, James." I tell him, my cheeks reddening when I hear just how gooey I sound to my own ears.

'Oh no, how tragic, our beautiful sexy Mates make you swoon. How cruel.' Jessie deadpans causing me to roll my eyes.

I grab my phone, and send a text to Taylor, Enza and I's group chat, telling my friends that I will finally be in school, the pair harassing me constantly lately about not seeing each other.