Chapter 55: Memories & Moments

James' POV

Not wanting the stage to get crowded when I want the Warriors to dismantle and move the large obstruction so there's more space, I jump down off of the front of the stage, giving them room to work.

I hold my hand out for Cody to help him do the same as Alex and Zee drop down beside me, our friends gathering around with smiling faces as we near them. I place a kiss on the back of Cody's hands as our friends seperate us, laughing as Alex throws his arms over my shoulder, using the momentum to pull me down to rub his knuckles into my hair.

"Look at you, thinking you're all big because you're the Alpha now. I'm pretty sure I can beat you in hand to hand combat." He threatens me and I laugh, grabbing him by his middle, trapping him before going in the kill.

I tickle the cocky bastard until he drops to the ground, Artemis and Jasper laughing at our antics as I stand victorious above him.

"Mm you shouldn't make threats you can't follow through on, pup." I tease my best friend as he picks himself off of the ground with a smile. He reaches out a hand and I clasp it with my own, my Beta pulling me in for a tight hug and clap on the back before pulling back with a face full of pride.

"You might be a little shit, but you'll make one hell of an Alpha. It's my honor to be serving as your Beta." He tells me seriously, and it's almost enough to choke me up.

Not that I would ever give the smug bastard the pleasure.

As much shit as we give each other, and as little time as we've been able to spend together lately, Alex is the closest thing I've had to a constant my whole life.

I wouldn't call him family because our bond goes deeper than that and at times, it's gone beyond it. But the trust that I have in that man to have my back, follow through with his words, and give everything and more is more valuable than anything I've ever owned. I wouldn't trust anyone else to have my back. And I wouldn't trust anyone else to tell me when I'm being a dumb asshole or a reckless fool.

I don't know much about Celeste or her intentions, but sometimes I wonder if we have more than one kind a Soulmate. We have our lover, of course, but there can be Soulmates that come as parents, friends, siblings or some sarcastic asshole of a kid that understood and called out parts of my dad I didn't think anyone could see.

Whatever connection we have, it has me sincerely hoping that one day he's able to find his own sense of peace and slice of heaven.

"I'm honored to have you as my Beta. I'm relying on you to keep my head straight." I tell him and he nods letting my hand go as he makes space for Alpha Lucas who of course wears the most obnoxious smirk of all time.

"So you're running with the big boys now." He says looking me over and I laugh, shaking my head as Lucas extends a hand with a warm smile. "Honestly, James, congratulations. You deserve it, and I actually believe that good will come from you being Alpha. Just keep on the path you're on." He tells me with a stern nod, Beta Cole wishing me luck in our future as leaders.

The two leave quickly, going to join their Warriors in the patrol, ducking away from the Border just long enough to see our Ceremony.

So this is what it feels like when people that care about you make you a priority and make time for you.

With an already full heart and joy I didn't even know it possible, I turn to see check on Cody, finding him surrounded by Taylor, Charlotte and Timari, even Chelsea laughing and congratulating Cody. It feels nice to see him thriving so much with peoples his training, with everything. I remember how closed off and scared he was when we first met.