James

We both headed out of the castle and into the grounds. It was chilly, with a slight breeze and overcast. You could smell rain in the air like a promise, and could hear the leaves bristling in the trees, see them swirl in the random breezes and a haze of gold, brown, and muddy green. In my opinion, it was perfect for chilling outside with a friend.

Was Regulus a friend? I'd like to think so. I'd like to wish we were more.

We starting walking along a path that leaded toward the lake, that then wounded toward the forbidden forest, though no one ever went in the forest of course. Besides me and the other marauders but that's a different story for another time.

"So." Regulus started. "Been planning any pranks recently?"

I scowled. "Why would you think that?"

"Pfft." Regulus smirked at me. "You marauders are always up to something. Besides I highly doubt y'all were doing homework together that one time in the library yesterday."

I stared at him for a moment. "So you were paying attention after all." I insisted.

"What? No, not like- well yeah I noticed you if that's what you mean."

"Oh now it's you noticed me."

Regulus rolled his eyes. "But you are planning something?" He asked as we walked along the lake edge.

I sighed in defeat. "Yeah, we are. Your not supposed to know though, don't tell Sirius I told you or anything." Though I was kinda happy to include Reg on something.

"What is it your planning exactly?" The smaller boy asked.

"We were thinking of dying all the Slytherins hair the same color, at the same time. Though we'd make it permanent, and harder to undo."
I explained.

Regulus didn't even argue that we were targeting the Slytherins, in fact he seemed to find it amusing.

"What color?" He asked.

"We don't know yet."

"Please just don't make it something like neon pink or yellow, I hate those colors." Regulus told me.

"Oh no, I'd make sure the others won't get you, if we can. Well try to leave you out." I assured him.

"Why? It's not like y'all care about me that much.."

"But we do care, Reg." I told him. He didn't seem to believe me. "I care." I insisted.

Regulus looked up at me and, was he blushing?

"I care about you." I repeated. Regulus was blushing now.

He had reached the end of the path, we were now right next to the forbidden forest. The lake kept going, but you couldn't see it through the trees.

"Here, I wanna show you some place." I walked into the edge of the forest.

"Wha-" Regulus broke off. He followed me, as I lead him through the edge of the forest that overlooked the lake. "James, where are we going?"

"Just wait and see." I insisted.

Regulus rolled his eyes, but I swear he was smiling.

The path started winding, I tried to stay near the edge where I could see glimpses of the lake to my left, but eventually the path winded deeper, and Regulus got farther behind me.
I realized I had sped up, and I don't think Regulus is used to the forest. I've been here countless times on full moons and more, but I doubted Regulus had too.

I came to a stop, and Regulus caught up to me.

"You've been in the forest before?" I asked him.

"No." Regulus told me. "Not often that is."