Remus

At the train station, we all took turns giving Mrs and Mr. Potter a hug, thanking them for letting us stay, before we would head onto he train.

Smoke from the Hogwarts express filled the air, mingled with voices of others, family saying their goodbyes as their children or grandchildren boarded the train for the rest of the school year.
It was now a new year. I fresh start, as I liked to think of it, but that didn't mean I was making any changes to how I lived, or how others saw me. Nothing was really new at all.
It just felt that way, sort of, like I had another chance to meet all my stupid life goals I would never actually complete.

Last night, New Years Eve, we had all stayed up until midnight, and Sirius had insisted that we stick to that silly tradition of kissing as it turned twelve o clock. Y'know, to set the mood for the new year to come, or whatever. He always had ideas for things like that. Always being a romantic.
So we had, and as it had struck midnight, the both of us had shared an affectionate kiss, and Mr. and Mrs. Potter had done the same. And as we were all distracted, I'm sure I saw James give Regulus a peck on the cheek from the corner of my eye.
And to be perfectly honest, it was a bit fun.

Anyways, I now turned to Mr. and Mrs. Potter, and gave them a slightly awkward goodbye, as they weren't really family, but I was polite none the less to them. They were as good as distant relatives, or maybe aunts and uncles to me now.
Though, I hadn't been anywhere near as awkward as Regulus. He still had to get used to them. He wasn't shy, just, closed off in a way.
I knew he always had been, from the way he acted, even before I had gotten to know the boy more. Though.. I was starting to also see how James was bringing a new change into Regulus, and it was definitely an improvement. Though it was hard to tell sometimes.

James gave his parents both a huge hug and multiple kisses before we picked up our luggages and loaded ourselves onto the Hogwarts express.
It didn't take long for us to find a compartment, and soon after we had stowed away our trunks Peter found us, and sat down with us once more.
He told us little about his holiday, as there wasn't much to say, apparently. He had spent Christmas with family, and that was it.

Regulus had taken a seat beside the window, and I sat down beside the smaller boy, with Sirius to my other side like normal. James took a seat in front of Regulus, and Peter beside him.

Somehow, we very quickly got onto the subject of becoming an animagus. The other three were obviously very excited now to teach Regulus how to do it, and Regulus too seemed a good bit interested, though he remained calmer than the others.
Personally, I didn't know much about it either, as I hadn't studied to become one. I didn't need to. And the other Marauders had done it without me knowing anyway, so it had been a bit of a surprise.
Of course, they had asked me if it was okay, and obviously concerned for their safety, I had told them no.
See where that lead us? Those three don't listen.

They were telling Regulus a few things, or, as much as they could, but overall they needed to be back at Hogwarts.
First, Regulus would have to study, and all the notes and diagrams the other three had made were back at the school, so that was step one.

After a while, the conversation went back to a quiet chatter, small talk, and we all sat still as the train made its way across the tracks, steadily making its way across the landscape that rolled past out the window. It was a bit calming to watch the trees fly past in a blur, for hills in the distance to creep across the horizon as clouds drifted lazily in the sky.

Out of nowhere, someone approached the compartment door and knocked lightly before opening it. We all turned to see who it was.

To my surprise, it was Lily Evans who appeared in the doorway. She never came to hang out with us freely, unless she had some message to deliver, or something to say personally, or some other excuse.
Though, me and her were close friends, and personally I knew it was simply James and Sirius that she hated so passionately.