Chapter 14 | a taste of the luxury

Your few free days in Japan before the case really took off you were taking full advantage of to go shopping for some really nice clothes. You'd not been designed shopping in Japan before, so you were rather exited for it.

L had to pull some strings to let the hotels you'd be staying at allow his cat, but he'd managed. Until you had a permanent headquarters here you'd be hotel hopping, and the first one you'd been in was already really nice. L did have an eye for luxury, just not quite on the fashion side of things. Shadow lounged in a sunbeam while L set up his computer to get on with organising crashing the ICPO meeting. You double checked your bag to make sure you had everything before turning to L putting your sunglasses on.

"I'm heading out, I'll be back around... 3?" You said.

"Be safe, oh and take this" L said.

You expected him to hand you some kind of security decide, as if you didn't already have enough of them. But when you looked up and saw what he was holding out for you, you blinked in slight shock and confusion for a moment. Money, lots of it. At least a thousand in cash.

"Wha- you've already given me this weeks pay" you said.

"Consider it a bonus, I know fashion is your thing" he replied.

He seemed insistent, and hey... free money. You took it, a little flattered he was willing to dish out some extra cash for you. Putting it in your wallet you gave him a cheeky smile.

"What are you, my sugar daddy?" You teased.

"I feel like you have more of a sugar daddy attitude than I do" he joked.

You'd been throwing flirtatious joked at each other ever since the flight the other day. It'd become almost like a game to you, and you had a hunch Watari had noticed and was simply staying out of it and letting it happen.

"Maybe I'll get you something" you said.

"You don't have to" he replied.

"I don't, but I might~"

You slipped your shoes on and headed for the door, you pulled your sunglasses down slightly so he could see your eyes when you turned to say goodbye.

"I'll be back soon, behave yourself big bad detective" you teased with a wink.

"And if I don't?" He teased back.

"I'll just have to punish you then"

Blowing him a kiss, you were out the door and off to shop. When the door closed and you were gone, L sat back in the hotels armchair and took a breath.

"They just don't hold back do they..." He muttered to himself, feeling how hot his face at gotten.

He'd realised that this absolutely wasn't just a lustful infatuation, he was genuinely hooked on you. You just had that charm that made him swoon, and the lust part was merely a bonus to his genuine affection for you. While he wasn't that informed on romance, he did know that being involved in things your partner liked was a good way to show affection. Hence why he'd given you some extra play money to spend, he knew how much you liked designer. And maybe he wanted to see you in a pretty new outfit too...

As he continued work on his computer and tried to stop his cheeks going red at the thought of you in designer underwear, you'd zipped down to the train line and gotten on the quicker route to the fashion streets of Japan. There were many areas full of nothing but clothing and accessory shops, and that's where you intended to spend the day. Thanks to Japans transport being very efficient and fast, you were there in mere minutes.

The streets were still decorated for lunar new year, which had just passed. And many of the shops had items of that theme in the window display. All the red and gold decor made the streets look rather whimsical, it was beautiful. You definitely stood out among the crowds of salary men in suits, not just because you were a foreigner but because you'd put on your favourite boots with golden embroidered stars up the sides, one of your long Dior coats and big Prada shades. You looked like the stereotype of a rich, eccentric fashion designer.