Chapter 35 | one step ahead

A/n: this book is my 'misa deserves better' arc. I'm telling y'all if she never got that death note, and had a bit of trauma therapy, light wouldn't have ruined her.

Stifling your laughter, you grabbed L's hand before he could get out of the car. He stopped, giving you a confused look.

You pulled the collar of his shirt up, hiding all the evidence of what happened last night. Watching his cheeks go a little red you snickered at him.

"Shut up, it's your fault" he retorted.

"You enjoyed it" you teased.

"I did..."

Now looking more presentable, you left the car and headed towards the campus. Today was the day L would confront Light in person, during the entrance ceremony so he couldn't react without drawing attention to himself. But before you went in there, you had to meet up with someone first.

Now Misa has accidentally been looped into the case, she was of invaluable help. If Rem was following her around, she could basically be your eyes, your double agent. So you'd called her in, asking for her help.

Over the time she'd been getting used to having a pet shinigami following her around, she'd really had the time to think about everything that's going on with Kira. At first she was grateful because she finally got justice for her parents deaths, but after the traumatic experience of being stalked, watching that stalker die, having a freaking death god hand her a magic book and be taken into police custody for a while? She didn't know WHAT to think.

On the one hand she wanted people like her who'd suffered injustice to get the results they deserved. On the other hand, gods of death existed and human life was almost nothing to them... which made her wonder if there was even any way to avoid tragedies like what she'd experienced. She was so conflicted, but since you and L had the death note in police custody she figured she may as well be of some help to you.

She waited by the gates, Rem looming over her unable to be seen by anyone else. As per usual she was head to toe in blacks and dark reds, standing out amongst the polished students.

"Salutations Miss Amane" you half joked.

"So you have to be professional when you're doing bodyguard stuff huh?" She snickered.

"Eh, a bit. Thanks for helping us"

"It's the least I can do. The whole situation has had me thinking a lot..."

When you initially told L you'd met the Misa Misa, he had a bit of a fanboy moment. But he was in investigation mode right now, he was staying serious. Although you could see it in his eyes, he was still exited to be working with the idol deep down.

"You know what to do Venus, I trust you'll not let anyone harm me" L said.

"Of course not. You'll come out if this completely unharmed, I'll be off to the side watching, if something happens I'll be there in seconds" you replied.

"I can always count on you, I'll see you once it's over"

Being considered a 'student' since he took the exam and passed it, L had to go through a separate entrance to the hall. You and Misa counted as guests so you parted seats to go through the side entrance.

"So if Rem can see another shinigami, that means that Kira is the guy you think he is?" Misa asked.

"Yep, no doubt about it. We're kind of in a complicated situation because only us three can see Rem... and none of us can see the other shinigami. We need to get Kiras book so we can confirm to the taskforce it's him. We can have them touch your book, to see Rem. But that doesn't confirm Kira's identity..." you explained.