Chapter 28 | stare

L had immediately noticed something was strange today. All morning as the taskforce sat at the monitors and watched over the cameras, there was a chain of stare downs.

Shadow was fixated on something on the monitors that no one else could see, you were fixated on the cat and Naomi was fixated on you and L when she wasn't watching her screen.

The cat could definitely see something, you noticed that the cat could see something and Naomi knew something about you no one else did. L wasn't stupid, he could tell just from the way she'd glance up at you and him that she was hiding something. But he also knew Naomi well, whatever she was hiding wasn't malicious. He needed to know, so when it was time to take all the empty coffee cups to the sink, he pulled her aside.

Standing alone in the kitchen together, Naomi felt nostalgia. It was just like the first time she met L in person, he had such an intense gaze it was like he could see right through her.

"You know that I can pick up on these things, what do you know?" L asked, watching her put the mugs in the sink.

"It's not Kira related, don't get your hopes up" she replied.

"I figured, have you and Venus had a disagreement or something?"

She turned to face him and leaned back in the counter, crossing her arms and looking him dead in the eye.

"You're dating them aren't you?" She said.

L froze. She figured it out? How? Well... she was a top FBI agent for a reason. She was good and finding out details about people very fast.

"I know it's dangerous to be in a public relationship with Kira around. I mean... look what happened to me. I won't tell anyone, I'm just... surprised I guess" she continued.

"I should have known you'd be the one person to figure it out. What's so surprising about it?" L asked.

"Well... no offence but..."

He knew where his was going, he just rolled his eyes and sighed.

"None taken I know I'm strange, continue" he replied.

"They're very steadfast, dress like a runway model, strong and intelligent. They know how to navigate social cues and read the room. You... while you're the smartest man alive socialising isn't really your thing, nor is fashion. I guess I'm just surprised you managed to bag someone like them" Naomi replied.

L got this kind of thing all the time, he was used to it and didn't take any offence. He was unapologetically strange to others, he preferred to be himself and only surround himself with people that actually liked him rather than change himself just for a few friends that don't like him for him. He was completely content being alone, sure it got lonely sometimes but he could be himself. His strange to others self. You were a miracle to him, the fact that someone as amazing as you were genuinely in love with him meant the world to him.

"Yes I am rather... socially inept at times. They're the more socially smart one in the relationship. I suppose opposites attract at times, like magnets" L muttered.

"Don't worry, I'll keep it secret. I was just surprised that after all these years of giving me orders behind a screen you ended up in an actual face to face relationship" Naomi replied.

"Honestly... I find it rather shocking myself sometimes"

L thanked the relationship gods that whatever she overheard or saw to have her figure it out, she didn't see the rather... intimate stuff you and him got up to behind closed doors. That would have been a-lot more awkward to explain.

After the clarification, they returned to the main room where they found you'd moved from the sofa to right next to the cat, eyes mere centimetres away from the screen.

"Uh... you good Venus?" L asked.

"There's definitely something in there" you replied.

"What do you mean?"

"Whatever shadow can see must be either really small or something humans can't see, because I swear on everything holy we both just saw the curtains move on their own... and look-"

You beckoned them over, L and Naomi leaned over your shoulders to get a closer look and you moved the cat out of the way.

"Window is closed, door is closed, fan is off. There shouldn't be anything making a draft in there, but that fucking curtain moved. Rewind the tape if you don't believe me, I saw it, the cat saw it. Something is in Lights room" you explained.

Lights father had taken some of the cases files down to the police station, Light and Sayu were at school, their mother out at the shops. The house was empty, every window and door closed and none of the fans or air conditioners were on. So how would a curtain move on its own?

Knowing you weren't the type to lie, L took the most recent recording saved to the dive the cameras were connected to and pulled it up. Scrubbing through it until he saw movement.

"There! Back a bit!" You pointed out.

He rewound a few seconds, letting the footage play again. And sure enough, that curtain moved. And not the slight swing you'd see from a breeze either, but it was actually pulled almost all the way back.

"What the-" Naomi muttered.

"The one guy we think had Kira connections has a haunted room? Not a coincidence. And shadow can clearly see something that we can't? There's tons of stories of cats seeing ghosts. I'm not saying it's a ghost, but it's definitely something suspicious" you said.

L had to watch it a few times to have it fully sink in, while he was able to open his mind to the supernatural when the case started thanks to the fact people were dying of targeted heart attacks with no prior heath issues AND having their actions controlled before they died, he'd never actually seen something so stereotypical haunting before.

What could it be? A ghost? A demon? A shinigami?

"I always knew there was a possibility Kiras weapon is more of a power, but I think this proves it. Light probably got the power from... something non human that we can't see, but shadow definitely can" L said.

Whatever the cat could see, it must have left with everyone in the house because as soon as you moved him away from the screen he sat down on the nearest sofa and went straight to sleep.

It was a good thing you noticed his strange behaviour, or you may have missed that vital clue.