Chapter 46 | Rems deal

A/n: the past few chapters have been a bit short sorry about that, but there's not much to add to this section of the Kira case. Things get more complex as the case goes on.

As expected L was a bit skeptical, which made perfect sense. He was a naturally skeletal person already, and add the fact it was a god of death making this deal he was a bit careful about it. But once you'd explained everything Rem told you to him, he seemed intrigued.

"You're sure there's no alternative motive here?" He asked.

"I don't think so. She's just hella in love with Misa and if we protect her then we all get what we want" you explained.

"Hmm... well protection from a shainigami would be invaluable... alright. We'll take the deal, as long as there's so soul eating or heart attacks sent our way I don't see the harm in i

You doubted it'd go that badly, in fact Rem seemed really genuine which you didn't expect from a shinigami.

"That gives us the opportunity for taking a bit of a risk actually, I was thinking about it but I wasn't sure..." L muttered.

"What is it?" You asked.

He glanced over at the monitor showing Lights condition in confinement. He was aimlessly pacing around the room, kind of slowly since his ankles were chained as well as his hands. He seemed bored out of his mind in there.

"I read through the rules of the death note again to try and figure out what he might be planning, I couldn't quite figure it out but I have a hunch he's going to try and use the rules about possession of the death note to his advantage. The fact that the other one is technically Misa's since it was intended for her but you were the first one to touch it, so it's in your possession had me wondering. Light is clearly the one in possession of his death note, but maybe he's planned to hand it off to someone else temporarily to clear his name and then take possession of it again" L explained.

That made sense actually, you didn't know exactly how he'd have planned it out but it was plausible.

"You might be right... and I suppose you have ideas around that?" You asked.

"If he does hand possession over to someone else, we can have Misa get close enough to him so she's there when he gets it back. And SHE can touch it first making it technically hers. From there she has the power over it and she can take it for us" L explained.

That was a genius idea, then again L was a genius so you shouldn't be surprised. And with Rem on your side you, L and Misa couldn't get hurt by Light.

"As for Naomi, since she doesn't have that extra layer of protection I say we 'clear' her of 'suspicion' and leave the mission to Misa. It'd be too risky for Naomi, as amazing of an agent as she is. But she can be Misa's bodyguard of sorts, handling anything physical that may break out" L added.

"You're right, she is Misora massacre but even she won't stand a change against a spontaneous heart attack" You replied.

"And the taskforce... I think it's best we keep this under wraps from them still. They're still pretty biased toward lights innocence. We can reveal everything once their rose tinted glasses start to come off, they will eventually"

L always had a plan for everything, you admired that about him. You looked over at Light on the cameras who'd taken to sitting around and staring aimlessly at the walls by now.

"He looks so bored" you snickered.

"I'd be bored too" L replied.

Checking in on the suspect to make sure he wasn't going absolutely batshit insane in there, L pressed down on the microphone and spoke through it.

"You're not starting to hallucinate in there are you?" L asked.

Light looked up at the cameras hearing L's voice, seemingly unfazed

"No, just bored. I put myself into this for a reason though, I'll stick it out. This useless sense of pride won't do me anything... I'll have to just get rid of it" Light replied.

He went silent for a moment almost as if he zoned out for a bit, you figured there was nothing more to talk about but he suddenly shifted his domineer and looked around the room.

"What the- maybe he is going crazy in there..." you muttered.

"W-wait... I just realised how pointless this is... why am in here if there's nothing to prove I'm Kira? What am I fighting against?" Light spoke.

L just looked at the screen in confusion, what was with the sudden change in his behaviour? He was the one who proposed this to begin with.

"You do still have your innocence to prove Light, no criminals have died as long as you've been in there" L pointed out.

Light sighed and hung his head, frustrated and lost.

"Damnit! Why is this happening..?" He muttered.

This was.... Strange. What suddenly caused such a shift in behaviour? He was the one that suggested this and he was doing fine just a moment ago. Maybe he was starting to loose it.

"What's going on with him?" You pondered.

"No idea... whatever he's trying to pull it won't work" L replied.

This was just getting weird, as if this whole case wasn't weird enough already. You and L have each other confused and sceptical looks, something was up with him but you didn't know what.

"How are the girls? Are they ok?" Light spoke up.

He hadn't asked that before... why the sudden concern?

"They're fine, in fact we've found evidence that might lead to one of them being cleared of suspicion" L replied.

"Oh good! They can get out of here soon then, don't let them go stir crazy ok?" Light said.

Ok, this was weird. He'd shown no concern for the girls he thought were also locked up until now. Right after a sudden 180 in his behaviour.

You and L knew something has just happened to him but weren't sure what, or how. Perhaps Rem knew and could explain it the next time you saw her...