Chapter 44 | locked up

Were you hearing this correctly?

Light was willingly wanting to be locked up and watched? Either he had some kind of plan already or he had a secret kink for being watched.

Either way, you were skeptical.

"Ok... let me get this straight... you're willingly allowing us to keep you detained with no outside contact to prove you aren't Kira?" L repeated.

"I'm willing. I can't say for the girls but-" Light replied.

The girls glanced at L, he discretely nodded at them telling them to play along.

"I'm willing, if it gets us cleared" Misa said.

"Me too, I know I didn't do anything so there'd be no problems right?" Naomi added.

Of course you wouldn't actually lock the girls up, but Light didn't need to know that. While he was under watch the four of you could come up with a counter plan to whatever he was planning.

"Well... if you're so willing to. I don't think your father will like this though" L agreed.

"I'll talk to him. He'll understand it's to clear my name if he hears it from me" Light replied.

"Good luck with that, I'll make arrangements"

Light got up from his spot opposite L to go talk to his father about the situation, leaving you with L and the girls.

"Excuse me did I just hear that right?" Naomi said.

"He's totally planning something" Misa muttered.

"You two didn't hear anything from him while you were talking the other day?" L asked.

They shook their heads no, seems like Light didn't fully trust them yet. He was a very careful person so you weren't that surprised. The girls had been making good progress wearing down his defences though.

"If he's so willing to he must have some kind of plan. Maybe he's arranged for people to keep dying while she's behind bars? He can manipulate the time of death after all" you suggested.

"Maybe... but if he doesn't know how long he'd be locked up then he can't really prepare in advance" L pondered.

This was weird... he was so willing to put himself in confinement it was so obvious he had some kind of fail safe in place already. But what would it even be? He can't exactly sneak the death note in with him, nor any paper from it. He'd be searched. Maybe he had someone on his side to write on his behalf? But you'd done several background checks on him and hadn't found any other suspects...

"Hmm... Rem do you have any idea about what he's planning?" Misa asked the shinigami behind her.

"I don't. This is a weird move in my opinion, perhaps it'll he come more obvious when he's actually locked up" she replied.

Maybe she was right, maybe something would happen once he was actually behind bars. Rem's presence made you think though, it can't be Lights shinigami helping him if the shinigami wasn't on his side. Unlike Rem, Ryuk was just a bystander, here to watch.

"Rem, you're sworn to protect Misa right?" You asked.

"I am, and if this is leading into some kind of deal then the answer is no" she replied.

"No, no. It's just... if you're bound to her like Ryuk is bound to light then is there something in that arrangement that could be used as a loophole? Even if Ryuk doesn't want to intervene is there something that makes Light able to use him?"

"Unless he's secretly in love with Light, then I don't believe so. The only way a human can blackmail a shinigami is with their life which can only be ended via the shinigami protecting the human having fallen for them"

You doubted Ryuk was in love with light, from all you'd heard about him he didn't seem like that kind of person. So what the hell was his plan here? Misa and Rem had a very different dynamic to Light and Ryuk.

In fact... Rem and Misa were rather interesting. Rem was so clearly in love with her and Misa seemed to not be fully aware of it. She knew Rem was here to protect her, but didn't seem to understand why she felt the need to do that. Maybe it was because one was a human and one was death itself, Misa didn't think a relationship would work out between those two. So she just didn't consider it possible Rem was in love with her. Maybe it was because Rem was feminine identifying and Misa was too oblivious to see the girl crush.

But Rem being around Misa 24/7 and swearing to protect her made Misa almost invincible in this situation. If Light ever tried anything on Misa Rem would be there to stop him before he could even think about it. Misa was your ultimate weapon, because she always had Rem over her shoulder. But of course, she was still human with her own life and feelings.

"Misa... do you think you could try and seduce a confession out of Light?" You spat out.

It was silent for a moment while the others all took in what you just said.

"Excuse me?" Naomi replied.

"I second that, where did that come from?" L added.

"It's just... we'll she's practically invincible with Rem protecting her. So Light couldn't even think about trying to hurt her. I have no idea if he'd take the bait, seeing as he looked at that magazine like a damn ikea catalogue who knows if she even likes girls... but it's worth a shot" you explained.

Misa thought for a moment, you were right. She was practically invincible, Light couldn't lay a hand on her like he could you, L, Naomi, the taskforce etc. not to mention she was an actor and could absolutely pull off a convincing lovesick girl act.

"Hmm... that might work" she muttered.

"You don't have to, just a suggestion" you replied.

"You're actually onto something there, I can try"

Everyone looked at L for confirmation, he was the one leading this case so his opinion was needed.

"I mean if you're willing, it would be of invaluable help" L shrugged.

"Then I'll do it. I can't say for sure if it'll work, but I can definitely try" Misa replied.

What a legend, Misa was really pulling through here.

"Just so you know (y/n), if this plan ends up hurting her... I will not be pleased" Rem warned.

"I'm aware, I understand the risk and take responsibility" you replied.

If being with L has taught you anything it's that love is a powerful thing. Something that can motivate people to do the craziest things. Like agreeing to take a dangerous case with him or a shinigami protecting a human.

It was crazy, but it just might work.