{Plot 2}• chãptèr nïne

🦋𝐀𝐔𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐘🦋

Unlike before, this time our skin contact as if sending waves silenced my restless mind, left me feeling calm and stable.

His voice was like a sweet lullaby to my ears- soothing, deep velvety tone. I found my eyes closing shut as I fully melted into his embrace, wrapping my arms around his torso. I felt him still for a moment, his breath had hitched and he wasn't moving. The hand he had soothing my hair had stopped and the one around my waist had tightened significantly. It was like my one action had turned him from protective to possessive.

"I will need you to play close to his highness".

"The mate bond will make it a lot easier so you don't have to worry, unless you're scared this will also affect you in some way?"

the words echoed in my ears, making my eyes snap open.
I pulled away, guilt pinching at my skin. Just in time a man walked up to us.

Darius furrowed his brows at me, he looked like he had something to say. His eyes held this glea of contentment, excitement and warmth in them. He followed my gaze to the man that stops beside us, his head lowered and his eyes casted down to the ground.

"Please pardon me your majesties" he started.

"Go on Fredrik" Darius encouraged, not moving away from me.

"Your presence is needed in the grand Hall. The nobles request your arrival to discuss the first light festival" the man- now Fredrik informed Darius.

Now looking at Fredrik more closely he looked roughly my age. His clothes looked too big for his quirky frame and his curly chestnut brown hair was roughed atop his head giving him an innocent boyish look. Now recalling he was the assistant to Lord Mark Anthony, someone I had spoken to during the greeting ball. He seemed very interested in Anaise, they would make a good pair but It had crossed my mind to talk to Astrid about it. I had no intention to overstep by assuring their alliance.

Darius looked back at me, as if asking for my permission to go. I caught on and nodded with a small smile on my face. He turned back to Fredrik, mirroring my smile, "I'll be right there" he answered.

Fredrik's shoulders noticeably fell and he sighed before straightening up and walking away. Darius turns back to me, his palm finding my cheek he stepped closer to me making me take a step back. "It's okay love. I'm sorry I have to go, please feel free to finish your breakfast. I'll come check on you later, I have something to show you" he smiled, ignoring my previous actions. I could see his gaze shift to my lips and I immediately stopped breathing. "Are you okay?" He asked quietly, snapping me out of my daze

"Y-yes I'm fine. Thank you" I genuinely appreciated, trying to smile but it came out as more of a grimace which I was thankful he made no mention of.

"No worries. See you later love" he leaned down, pressing a chaste kiss to my cheek and pulling away so quickly it left a feather-like feeling in it's wake. He smiled once more before sauntering off.

I dropped down on my seat, feeling my heart racing. What just happened? What was that!? Was that acting? Was it all an act? And most importantly what's going on with me? I let out a long sigh, feeling exhausted. My head hurt, I had tried so hard to bury the images and my time in that pack. Hunter, Vivian and all the other bad memories couldn't affect me here, I just needed to remember that.

I couldn't help but let my mind wonder back to the surges that ran through me as Darius held onto me. I felt... Safe.

Was I safe?

"What's the first light festival?" I asked curiously, turning to gaze down at Orchid.

We were currently in the garden, laying on a blanket Orchid had brought from her chambers. I held a book in my hand while Orchid drew away, sketching the beautiful scene that unraveled itself before us as nature. Flipping my bookmark in I closed my book, keeping it beside where I sat to pay more attention as Orchid finally raised her head from her sketch pad.