{Plot 3}• CHÀPTER XV

AUDREY⚘♡

I walked around hastily, watching with distaste as Vandal's men were littered around the halls, drinking and cackling to themselves. They celebrated over their victory now but I was certain that they would soon meet their demise. Vandal had taken control of the castle a few hours ago, he was still negotiating in the throne room with the elders.

I checked for my ladies everywhere but I couldn't find any of them. The servants and maids had been forced to serve Vandal and his men or loose their lives. I approached the steps to the West Wing when I heard Anaise's voice from somewhere close by. I followed her hissing and protests to the space behind one of the hallway pillars where the scene was unfolding. Vandal's second in command stood towering over her, trapping her between himself and the pillar not giving her a way out. He had a glass of wine in one of his hand, his other resting above Anaise's head as he looked over her form with lustful eyes.

"Why don't you come keep me company tonight? You're such a beauty and you haven't even be mated. I'll show you a good time sweet cheeks" his fingers hovered above her cheeks tracing imaginary lines.

"Leave me. I refuse to entertain you" she glared into his eyes, shoving at his chest but he didn't budge. I walked up to them, pulling his hand away from her face I grabbed their attention.

Relief washed over Anaise's face and she walked to my back for cover while his attention remained on me. "She is my lady and you will not be going anywhere near her again" I stated firmly, glaring daggers at him.

"You cannot tell me what I can and cannot do" his alcohol laced breath hit me in the face making me scrunch my nose in disgust.

"You-" I cut my self off as I watched Vandal walking over to us. I took a step back as he stood between his second in command and I.

"What is happening here?" He asked, looking between us three.

"I wanted to have a little fun with that one there but she stops me. She should be thrown in the cellars with the guards" he directs his gaze filled with venom towards me.

"Watch your tongue Griffon " Vandal scolds. "She is his highness's mate and she is my special guest today. On this fine day she will be my honoured guest to the feast the elders are holding in my name". He turns to me, a smile on his lips as he looks down at my much smaller form in comparison.

He towered over me much like every other male but Darius easily had a much better build, there could be no comparison. Vandal made me feel unsafe, in danger like I needed to run and hide somewhere but I could not, like a deer in a lion's den.
"I invite you quite personally so please do not refuse. I shall see you in a little while" he gave a curt nod before walking off leaving his second in command to stare at him while he departed.

Without sparing Griffon another glare I pulled Anaise next to me and continued on my way to my chambers.

"Are you okay Anaise?" I asked once we were safe in my chambers.

"I'm fine" she nods in the affirmative and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Do you know where the rest are? Orchid, Greer and Astrid?"

"They are all in the kitchen with the maids preparing for Vandal's feast. The elders instructed they stay there and help out. I came out to come look for you and ensure you were okay, Are you?" She grabbed hold of my hand, squeezing it affectionately she looked up into my eyes.

I nodded subtly, "I'm unharmed. But I don't know how much longer we all will remain untouched. I worry Vandal's patience wears as thin as his stability. He will ask for something soon, probably something outrageous" I gazed back at her, letting my shoulders fall. "I hope Darius is okay. He rode into their land and he has no knowledge of what is going on, what they intend to do"

"The Goddess will protect him" she assured me but I couldn't help notice the edge of uncertainty in her tone.

I wanted to believe the elders had it all under control or I'd just wake up beside Darius and this would all be nothing but a bad dream but it wasn't and they didn't. Even as Anaise and I went to speak with the elders it was all starting to get too real.

Darius really wasn't here and the palace had been invaded.
"What would throwing a feast possibly do?" I asked as I watched the kitchen maids run about preparing for the euserper's meal.

"Come with me Audrey" Elder Azalia pulled me to the pantry, her gaze wandering about to ensure the privacy of our conversation. "We are making this feast to distract Vandal and his men. We will distract Vandal and his men so they won't suspect a thing. We have sent our fastest rider to deliver a message to Darius telling him about everything that is going on. Hopefully he gets there and Darius is able to come soon" I'm sure she could see the fear and uncertainty written all over my face because she gripped onto my shoulders shaking me out of my panicked state. My eyes found her fixed gaze, "I know you're scared and worried for the King but he can take care of himself so what I need you to do is make sure to protect the most important thing in his life. I need you to take care of our King's heart"

She stopped, making sure I listened to every word and I did. My mind began to refocus and register everything she had uttered. The sincerity in her gaze had me hanging of every word. Her hand traced a stray lock of hair behind my ear, tucking it loosely she smiled softly at me and only then did it clock that this was the first time I had seen her smile. The way her lips stretched the slightest bit to her full wrinkled cheeks was sweet, so sweet I has to restrain from poking her cheek. "You.you are the King's whole world so I need you to protect yourself for his sake. If anything were to happen to you it would kill him. Now your Highness are you ready to go to hell for His Majesty? Because I know I am"

"What about everyone else?" I asked, thinkibg of all the scared maids and servants.

"There's a back entrance, through the walls of the palace. I'll mark a way out. All we need to do is distract Vandal and his men long enough to get everyone out and then you and your ladies will make an excuse to leave as well don't worry" she assured but I was having non of it and immediately refused shaking my head at her. I couldn't leave them just to save myself.

"I refuse to leave you and the rest of the elders here" I frowned deeply at the thought alone.

"Listen, Audrey Vandal won't do anything to us if he was to find out. Sure he would get angry and release his wrath but by then you all would be at a safe bunker underneath the castle and all would be okay until Darius returns. You have to ensure your safety for Darius' sake" I still didn't like the idea one bit but arguing was of no use. She was fixed on her plan so I just had to make sure hers as well as my plan worked out. With sealed lips I gave a firm nod.

"I guess we go in together then"

It was time for the feast and Elder Azalia had sent both my ladies and I to get ourselves ready for we were to be in attendance. It was a crucial part of the plan to look as cheerful as possible even though the idea of sitting and enjoying a feast with my mates euserper sickened me I had to control my disgust just for some time until my plan was set in motion. One slip up and it could all be over. While my ladies helped me get dressed I tried mind linking Darius but I couldn't which only meant his wall was up and I couldn't reach him. I imagined the worst, what if he got ambushed upon his arrival? What if he was being held against his will? I was well aware Darius alone was more capable than all his soldiers put together but it didn't stop me from worrying. I just wanted to have him with me, to hold me. I missed him so much it was torture but I knew I had to remain strong and get everyone out safely.

As I walked out of the doors of my chambers with my ladies by my side I whispered a silent prayer to the goddess. I was never one to look onto her for anything before because then I never had anything to loose nor did I have any dreams I wanted to meet unlike now. Now I had a lot to pray for, so much and I wish for once she could hear my pleading and jewel Darius safe for me. He was my life, he gave me a reason to be alive and I couldn't imagine loosing him now. My heart thumped madly in my chest as I whispered quiet words of plea. Greer grabbed onto my shaky hand, holding it firmly in hers. I gazed up at her, a small encouraging smile on her lips as she squeezed my hand reassuring me everything would be fine. I got the message I just didn't know if I believed it but I had faith in Darius. He would be fine.

Thanks for reading!
Expect another update during the week!
Lots of love♥