{Plot 3}• CHÁPTËR XXI

𝐀𝐔𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐘 💕

Birds sang in the distance, their audible chirps subtle but present. Cool sweep of the wind gliding gently across my cheeks and pushing against my hair. The leaves of the trees rattled in the wind, the air whistling through the skies and marking the atmosphere as a pleasant one.

I inhaled deeply, shutting my eyes as I let the calmness envelope all my senses. I deflated into my seat, letting a small smile creep onto my lips. My fingers traced the thick pages of the book I held in hand, summarizing every bend and curve of my current favourite that sat in my hands. I made a mental note to revisit the page where I had last left my bookmarks. Spending some time alone in Darius and my private garden had become a constant therapeutic experience for me. It was like taking a break from the hectic nature that I had gotten so used to- spending hours in the village, donating to the public and making an appearance in all the villages, the many the better, according to Elder Irene. I had to make sure the people of Bludhàven got used to seeing me, as their King's Princess consort, soon to be queen.

I understood all that but with all the changing of dresses and meeting of Dukes I hardly had enough time to spend with just myself and my thoughts. My mind had been quiet lately, something I should have been thankful for but now I had realised I was only distracted and as my mind was given room to wander all my thoughts came swarming back.

I couldn't help the giddy smile that over took my lips. The memories of when mama told me I'd find someone, someone who would love me like papa loved her as she gazed onto the moon she spoke with hearts in her eyes

"He would love you from there and back like your daddy loves me. He'll protect you from anything that could hurt you, he'll move the very tallest mountain for you, he'll hold you so delicately and cherish you forever and your heart will race every single time you see him like you've just run a marathon."

My parents were lovers, hardcore lovers who although they had to elope never let it affect me. I never knew my grandparents nor the people from my mother's pack but I was given more than enough love to not feel the absence or need for anyone else to love me. Mom would always tell me how much she and dad loved each other, as much as a little child could understand her words I captured every memory, every moment when her eyes would gleam with love souring through their depths, a distant far away look completely taking over her features, the smile only someone in love could possess being proudly worn on her lips.

As a little girl I was always in awe of the stories and promises mama told me. About the prince that would love me and come whisk me away into his strong arms, I never forgot them. And now? Now I had found him. A king. I had found him mama. The one who makes my heart flutter with every dark possessive glance of his, with every touch or glide of his against my skin he owned me in every single way and I was utterly captivated by his very person. Undoubtedly he loved me to the moon and back and even further beyond. He loved me enough to sacrifice everything.

Even his empire he had ruled for centuries.

He loved me enough to change the course of his people's destiny and the destiny of his kingdom if it ever came to it. Our kingdom.

Everything was a lot better than I could have ever imagined. It was almost impossible to think of the first time I came here, when everything felt so new and it felt like every force was acting against me. Even then Darius remained that pillar of light radiating a path for me and casting away all the darkness, even when I didn't realise nor appreciate it. He accepted me even with all the emotional baggage I carried with me, he loved me right from the start. Back then I saw him and our whole 'situation' as nothing more than a curse, another unfortunate event in my disaster of a life. I felt so hopeless and lost that I didn't see the stability waiting for me in the form of the love of my life. My mate. My king.