{Plot 3}• CHÄPTËR XI

𝐀𝐔𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐘 ⚘

I sat here, nervously fiddling with my fingers as I stared at the door waiting for Darius to just walk in. I couldn't help but feel restless now, all these preparations had left me feeling angst. None of them were aware of what happened at the dining hall, Darius could still be angry and everyone knew what happens when Darius was angry. It was like a hurricane let loose.

Maybe he was just held back talking with the people of the table that supported Sir Williams and all of them were being banished from court. You're over thinking Audrey! But what if what they said was true? I hadn't thought about it, as hurtful as their words were they did hold some truth in it. I wasn't a werewolf, I was human and Darius was a werewolf. It made sense they would oppose, it was out of the ordinary but didn't that make it wrong? Was it wrong? It definitely didn't feel that way but I could see how it looked that way to others especially when said human was going to be their queen and they were expected to bow to her. And the talk of an heir to the thrown already when Darius and I haven't even gotten married nor are we engaged, yet they seem to want to have another option as soon as possible. I don't think I liked the eagerness for an heir, personally I doubt I was ready for the responsibility of having a child, being in charge of another human? That was a lot and not in this world were people would look down at him because his mother was human.

There was this pressure from almost everyone to make it happen as soon as possible. It was already assumed that I'd be ready because I was with His Highness but no one stopped to take into consideration that I was new at all this and it would be my first time. Everything would be so overwhelming I couldn't even begin to consider it. I just wanted to be with Darius and not have these expectations dangling around my neck, to bear his mark, his heir. I didn't know when I'd be ready for it but I knew when the time came Darius would be holding my hand all the way and I could count on him to be by my side through it all.

We hadn't really talked about it much and I didn't know what he thought about it all. I mean I knew he loved me and he never pressured me to do anything at anyone's behest, he had patience with me so I was certain we would take it at our own paste and the rest of the kingdom would just have to deal with it. The scent of roses and vanilla filled my nostrils and I directed my eyes to the candles. Only then did I realise how sensual the atmosphere was, it was erotic and dark, fueling every deep desire.

I picked up the wine, bringing it to my nose I inhaled the contents immediately squeezing my nose. It smelt really strong as if it had been laced with something, but it tasted a lot better than what it smelt like. Emptying the glass I placed it back on the table, wiping at my lips. Just then the sound of the heavy double doors being pushed open made me snap my head to it. Darius walks in, his stance one reeking of power and authority and I could tell he was in king mode. The door shut behind him, taking with it half of the room's light, leaving the candles as the only thing illuminating the room giving it that low glow. I let my gaze sweep over his features and I could see his muscles engaged and stiff, his fists clenched as well.

Immediately I was off my feet, walking up to him I placed a hand on his arm to grab his attention but his stern angry gaze was fixated to the ground and he hadn't looked at me. Gently I placed my hand on his cheek and turned his face so he was looking down at me, "Hey, you okay?" I asked softly, keeping my concerned gaze on him.

His pupils were dark and I wondered if he knew how dark they looked or if it was something that just happened when he was angry and he knew nothing of it, "He shouldn't have said that" he growled incoherently.

I frowned, slowly dragging my thumb across his cheek to try soothe him "Who?"I asked, stepping impossibly closer to him so there was no space between us. In the time of knowing about a mate I had learnt that more skin contact especially with Darius could calm him down, it was like my skin was the ice that could quench the fire of his rage.