Home

As I stood in the terminal, the familiar sights and sounds of the airport filled my mind. It was a moment of great relief to realize that I was finally home after all these years of being in France. It had been a long time since I had experienced such a welcoming atmosphere, such as Lima.

The first person I saw was my older sister, Quinn, and I was greeted with a warm hug from her. She looked completely different from the person I had said goodbye to in elementary school. It made me feel extremely happy to hug her again, and it would always be a moment I would cherish forever.

"You look exactly the same as you did in elementary school." She laughed, squeezing my hands. After obviously getting a nose job, doing some drastic alterations to her appearance and losing a lot of weight, she was almost unrecognizable.

"You don't." I smiled, before pulling her into a hug again. We were interrupted by my mother, who slowly walked up to us and we broke apart so I could face her. Quinn had written me letters every week, telling me about the Cheerios and Glee Club, while my parents had not contacted me one time. I hadn't heard from either of them in four years, but it wasn't my mother's fault.

She wanted to reach out to me, but my father wouldn't allow it. He had resented me from the moment I was born, because he always wanted a boy to continue the Fabray legacy, and I was just the child he never wanted. It was extremely difficult on my mother and I, since we were always extremely close, but she was scared of what he would do to her, or Quinn if she talked to me through her letters, so she stayed silent.

My mother put me in ballet at a very young age and it became my whole life from there. I was selected to train at a boarding school in France, and as soon as my father heard of it, he jumped at the opportunity to send me across the ocean. The first time I heard from my mom in four years was the letter she sent me telling me that her and my father had separated, and that she wanted me to come home. I was extremely worried because I had become so accustomed to France, that moving back to Ohio would be terrifying, but the second I stepped off of the plane, I knew I was home.

"Hey, mom." I said awkwardly, and after a brief moment of silence, she burst into tears and hugged me tightly, catching me off guard.

"I'm so sorry." She cried into my shoulder, and I hugged back. I missed the feeling of her hugs, they were extremely comforting and made me feel valued and safe no matter what. She didn't communicate well with her words, but this hug told me everything she wanted to say to me.

"Let's go home." I smiled, and she nodded then grabbed my bags for me while Quinn and I linked arms, and she began to eagerly fill me in on everything I had missed, but I wasn't really listening. I know this is not something people say a lot, but I love Ohio. It isn't the most beautiful place, and the people aren't the kindest, and I'm pretty sure the air here is what causes most health issues, but I was raised here and it would always be my home. I wanted to remember my childhood memories, and try to imagine what my life would be like if I never left.

After arriving at my new house, Quinn led me to the front door. It was a downgrade from our old house in Fairbrook, since my mom was a single mother now, but I instantly felt at home here. Quinn showed me to my bedroom, which she had obviously decorated.

Although it wasn't my preferred style, since it was full of flowers and pastel colors, I still appreciated the effort Quinn had put in. It was still very cute and relaxing, so it would make due.

My mom put my many suitcases in my room and offered to help me unpack them, but I turned her down. Moving to a different country, even if I spent my childhood here, was an extremely stressful experience and I wanted to be alone for a while, and she had already been through a lot and done so much for me to be able to come back home and I didn't want to be anymore of a burden.