nineteen

Alexio Venturi was fuming once he had the news of his supposedly warehouse being broken in. His teeth grinded against each other and his fist clenched besides him. He gripped the whiskey glass as he took a giant sip. The strong Jack Daniels did a number on his throat and it burned down all the way into his stomach.

 He thought he had taken all precautions to ensure that no one would find it or break in to it but he was wrong. He was in disbelief to how everything had played out. His thoughts were that Donovan had forgotten all about his shipment. After all, he had more money to always get a new batch.

Surely Donovan De Luca was smarter than he was. He had underestimated him—a lot too. He could never recover from this current loss. He heavily sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose and trying to calm the raging feeling brewing in the pit of his stomach while plopping on his chair. His phone loudly rang in the room, making him groan.

Seeing Cornell's name plastered on the screen, he braced himself for a long conversation, reporting back. He didn't want to be bothered right now but he had no choice. Cornell was kind of his boss now.

"What is this I hear about your shipment being stolen?". Cornell questioned, getting straight to the point, "Is this true". He continued.

"Yes, it is" Alexio sighed, rubbing the temples of his head.

"Who did it and how did they find out about it?". He sneered making Alexio flinch from his tone. It didn't help he was already frustrated, trying to gather the people who help Donovan pull this mission off. He was sure that some of his people helped.

"It was Donovan De Luca". Alexio confessed.

"What?!" Cornell yelled through the phone making Alexio hold it away from his ear.

"Yes it was him and he had some help from some of my people. I am trying to sort it out"

"You better fix this and make sure it doesn't come back to bite us in the ass or else I will be revoking that membership!". He threatened, throwing Alexio all the way off. He needed to be in that secret club. They had access to all things that controlled the workings of the world, from advanced technology, banks and powerful connection to the richest people who had access to wealth he was trying to obtain.

Now where does Donovan fit into all of this? The De Luca family is a powerful family which does not belong to this secret society of theirs. They have managed to build their wealth on their own and have establish great relationships some great leaders of the world who have beef with the secret club and also because De Luca was their go-to in everything their needed; logistics, drugs, ammunition and lastly a chain of restaurants and night clubs. The De Luca family was trustworthy and moved in silence. That is why most people liked doing business with them.

"Wait, hold on for a second. There is no need for all of that", Alexio stammered, "Let me sort it out first. I can get back what belongs to us" He pleaded. He wasn't one to beg but those connections? He needed them. He too wanted the money, connections and lastly power. He wasn't respected when it comes to business and this was his chance to reach the top as well.

"One last chance, if you mess this up, that is your ass. And I mean it". Sternly he stated, earning a sigh of relief from Alexio.

"I promise I won't let you down". With that the other side of the phone beep, indicating the end of the call and conversation.

Alexio let out a breathe he didn't know he was holding. That nearly was his ass. He ran his fingers through his shiny black hair as he let out another frustrated breathe slip out his lips.

He grabbed his glass from his table and threw it across the room causing it to smash against the wall.  Brown liquid dripped and stained the white wall.