twenty-eight

The smell of coffee and freshly baked goodies filled the pristine shop. A few customers were filling their mouth with their daily dose of caffeine with a baked good tagging along.

Low chatter filled the room as well an rnb song playing in the background, setting the tone for the room. The weather was quite confusing causing the town to still huddle up in warm attire.

The brown skinned woman nervously looked around as she sipped on her hot cocoa with a lemon custard pastry on her plate. She double tapped the screen of her phone causing it to lit up.

Her home screen displayed a layout picture of her and her boyfriend with huge smiles on their faces and three more of silly poses.

The door chimed causing to avert her eyes up towards the door. Her breathe was caught at the back of throat at the man who entered.

She watched him casual make his way towards the counter and then she peeled her eyes off him, tapping her phone once again. The time displayed was nine fifty eight in the morning.

Two minutes before her guest was arriving. She decided to take a look outside, admiring people going about their day on a windy Wednesday.

Suddenly something told her to check her surroundings which made her eyes land on the man that walked in a few moments ago. He was standing before her making her heart thump against her chest.

She felt her stomach drop as she admired his features. He reminded her of someone but she couldn't pinpoint it yet. His tall burly frame was very attractive to her. She could spot a few tattoos on his neck and on his wrist.

The silver AP watch sat a little loose on his wrist however he made it work. The bomber jacket and black jeans looked amazing against his burly built.

"Can I help you?" She decided to ask, with her brow raised and eyes trailing up and down his frame.

"Yes you can Shelly ". He stated, knocking the wind out her lungs. It felt as if she couldn't breath for a moment but she quickly snapped out of it as he took a seat, placing his cup of coffee on the table and extending his dark brown hand. His voice was deep. How did this man know her name?

"Donovan, Angelo's brother". He mentioned, looking directly at her. His eyes made her nervous. They were filled with rage but were hypnotizing. Her brows furrowed further in question. She confusingly shook his hand nonetheless.

"Where is Angelo? We usually don't meet this early?". Concern laced in her voice as she questioned, still admiring this fine dark brown man seated before her. She could see the resemblance. They were definitely brothers.

"Don't worry about that. I am the one who said we could meet here". He told her.

"Wait— I was talking to you all this time?". She questioned, with her mouth hanging in shock.

"How do you know Angelo? ". Donovan decided to ask, getting straight to the point. He wanted answers that's all. This wasn't a casual meeting. It was business.

"Where is Angelo?". She ignored his question and decided to redirect instead. Donovan didn't speak causing them to look at each other.

The two individuals had a stare down as their eyes bored into each other daring either to back down. The air suddenly became thick and tense. Now Shelly was alert.

"I asked you first. If you don't answer my question then I won't tell you where he is".

"What did you do to him, huh?".  She squinted her eyes at him.

"What reason do I have to hurt my brother?". Donovan raised his brow in question. He face was stoic giving nothing away but inside? He was fuming. Why did people think the worst of him. Regardless of their new found position in the family, Angelo will always be his little brother and he was going to protect him by all means necessary.