twenty-seven

Donovan exhaustedly sighed as he put the car in park once he had arrived at his mother's house. He rubbed the sides of his temple as he let different thoughts run through his head.

He grabbed the door handle and let himself out. It was currently in the morning, nine to be exact.  The air was getting warm, indicating the start of spring. He closed the door behind and headed inside the house.

The smell of freshly baked muffins invades his nose causing his stomach to loudly growl. He needed to put something in his stomach.

"Mamma!". He called out, making sure the door was locked.

"In here!". He heard her soft voice respond. He followed her voice and found her in the kitchen. She was seated at the kitchen isle with a cup of coffee on the island along with a book and pen in her hand.

Eden looked up once Donovan announced his presence. A soft smile graced her face making her dimples visible against her brown skin.

"Good morning Donny". She spoke, standing up. Donovan shuffled towards her and embraced his mother tightly. He was in need of her hugs. They made him feel safe and calm.

"Morning ". He grumbled.

"You are so tense". Eden mentioned once they pulled away. She stared in his eyes, notice how exhausted and dull he was. Her palm rested against his cheek where she felt the subtle chin hair.

"What's wrong?". She decided to ask. She knew Donovan wasn't one to talk about his feelings but she couldn't help but try to get him to open up.

Donovan stared at his mother for a extensive amount of time . How could they lie to them— him, about Angelo.

He took a deep breathe and spoke, "why didn't you tell me about Angelo?". He questioned.

"What do you mean?". Confused, she asked, peering up at him. She folded her arms and crossed her legs, using the island for support.

"Why didn't you tell me Angelo was uncle Lucian's son?". He questioned again.

Eden gasped out of shock. Shock of being caught. Lucian told him, that could be the only explanation. The had planned to keep this secret for as long as they were dead.

"Lucian told you?". Eden questioned  with her eyes widened, causing him to nod his head.

"Were you ever going to tell me— us?". He questioned, staring at his mother who stood fiddling with her fingers. His brows were furrowed, indicating that he was mad. He wasn't too happy about the secret being kept for long.

"Yes we were, only when Lucian was released from prison ". She stated, which she knew was a lie. The plan was never. Never.

"That's another five, ten more years. You really were going to tell Angelo about his real dad when he was damn near old?". The statement wasn't making sense to Donovan at all.

"It's not my place to say anything and it still isn't. All I had to do was play my part in helping raise Angelo the best way I knew how. All the other shit don't matter to me. I still love him regardless. That's still my son". Eden announced and Donovan guessed that was a good enough answer for now. However he felt as if there was more to the story.

And besides, he didn't want to be involved in their shenanigans. He had enough problems of his own to worry about. Such as sorting out the mess he was currently in.

"Where is Cheyenne ". He decided to ask instead. That was the real reason he came over. They haven't spoken in days and he wanted to apologize for how he spoke to her the last time they were in close proximity.