thirty-five

The noise in the prison was very unusual today. Everyone was in good spirits and having a good time. The occasion was Lucian finally leave the hell hole, he spent fifteen years in. Everyone was happy for him, no bad blood besides he got along with everyone and minded his business. They knew who he was on the outside world.

The prison management had made them a five star breakfast,  courtesy of Lucian, consisted of  bacon, eggs, sausages, pancakes, grits, oatmeal, muffins and waffles. They were eating good.

He may have given them problems in the beginning however, his money did make some things change around the prison such as new beds, new clothes; warmer and better quality, the food improved—somehow and some security measures that needed to be put in place. The prisoners, most times, did whatever they liked and caused no problems unless there was a small scuffle but other than that, all was good.

There were new facilities that were also put in place such as therapists who dealt with  men who suffered with mental health, workshops which did any type of art. Also book clubs. If you wanted to lead the church prison, you were more than welcomed to. They too had educational programs. Overall, prison was so much better than the outside to them.

"It's not every day we eat like this." One of Lucian's associates who went by the name Dave stated, digging into his eggs. They were well cooked, seasoned to perfection and fluffy.

"Enjoy it while it lasts. This shit only comes once in a blue moon." Lucian stated.

"Either way, I'm glad you made some shit happen. It was all you." Dave said causing murmurs of agreement to occur around the table.

"It's just money that's laying around doing nothing. " Lucian shrugged. He was too jittery to eat. He couldn't wait to be out man.

"Money none of us have, nigga." Dave remarked.

"Aight." He chuckled. He stood up from the table and decided to head outside the courtyard to clear his mind. He grabbed his cigarette from behind his ear and lit it up. He was leaning against the wall taking the scene in front of him. He felt giddy and a wave of joyfulness filled inside him.

He was glad to be leaving. Prison wasn't so bad but he missed being outside and having the freedom of just being free and doing whatever. He missed seeing the outside world, women too.

He couldn't wait to see his family, his Mamma, more especially. He may have been a troublesome kid but he knew his mother missed him. His nephew, Donovan and his new family. Most importantly, his son, Angelo.

"Life's crazy huh?". A voice spoke besides him, grabbing his attention. He snapped his head to the side and found Monty standing just a few feet away, his eyes placed on him.

"Too crazy." He responded, blowing out smoke.

"They finally letting your crazy ass leave huh? What did you do nigga?." Monty questioned causing a chuckled to slip out Lucian's lips.

"You think I did something?."

"Not think. I know your crazy ass did something to those board members."

"Nah, I ain't do shit." He shook his head, finishing off his cancer stick.

"That's crazy but I'm glad you leaving though. This place won't be the same without you." Monty sincerely told him.

"You going to miss me ain't you?." Lucian smirked

"Nah, I'm going to miss the extra change." Monty joked making Lucian straight face him.

"See! I knew you liked me for my money, ain't shit ass nigga" Lucian pointed towards him causing Monty to let out a loud, hearty laugh.

"You ain't got to worry about none. I got you man. Thank you for taking care of me all these years. I appreciate it and you." Lucian sincerely stated.