24

As Hua Ying and Wangji were traveling, Hua Ying realized that wherever they needed to go, was wanting them to cut through Yunmeng. Hua Ying was very hesitant about that. He had his mask on but dealing with Jiang Cheng was something he didn't want...as well as the dog.

"Lan Zhan, I'm not sure if it's a good idea that we go through Yunmeng...but if this limb is leading us here, we have to..." Hua Ying said.

"Hua Ying, I won't let any dog near you," he assured him.

Hua Ying nodded, "it's not just that though...Jiang Cheng..."

"Let me deal with him too, if I have to," Wangji said.

"Wangji?" The two heard and turned to see Zewu Jun getting ready to enter Lotus Pier, "what brings you here?"

Wangji showed him the pouch, "not really sure if we need to be here but maybe just to cut through," he answered.

"I see," Xichen said and saw that Wangji was holding Hua Ying's hand.

Hua Ying jumped and let go of Wangji, "ugh, Zewu Jun, we should probably talk...privately," he said.

"The three of us?" Xichen asked.

"Yes," Hua Ying said.

"I have a room reserved at an inn, let's go there," he said. Lan Xichen led them to his room and placed a privacy barrier around the room, "okay, what do you want to talk about?"

"Well, a couple things," Hua Ying said, "First, I got permission from my parents to be Lan Zhan's partner...and they were wanting to offer a proposal to you."

Lan Xichen blinked, "really? Just like that?" He asked.

Lan Wangji sighed.

Hua Ying looked at him, "Lan Zhan, you need to tell him what you told me earlier. He won't know unless you say something," he said.

"Is something wrong?" Xichen asked.

Lan Wangji felt tears building up inside him, "a few things," he said upset in a very cold tone.

Lan Xichen had not expect to hear his brother sound so cold towards him, "what did I do?"

Lan Wangji closed his eyes to try and calm himself down, "Lan Zhan?"

"Hua Ying was telling me how Wei Ying was feeling back then. How he felt so guilty about a lot of things. He was blamed for the massacre for Lotus Pier, and he was blamed for taking in Wen Soldiers. I tried to tell you what I witnessed and you ignored me. You were fine listening to Jin Guangyao and because of that, you were not there for him or me. You let him take the fall. You are always someone who values good but when Wei Ying was against the sects and it was just him, did you actually believe he could do such horrible things such as curse someone who he hardly sees or speaks to? He watched his shijie die and he didn't have any desire left.

You stood there when Wen Qing got burned to death and her brother was forced to watch. You had me held back from stopping it. Wen Ning lost control and I had to fight my own people to get them to stop. You let me get whipped. You trusted someone way more over your own brother! I was so broken and I still am. I feel like Hua Ying and I are in this alone because you may not believe in me or him. You lost my trust a long time ago..."

"Wangji?" Hua Cheng asked as he appeared, he could sense something was wrong and he and Xie Lian came to check.

Lan Wangji broke down as Hua Ying pulled him into a hug, "it's okay," he said, "you must trust him enough to let him help us right? He cares about you."

Wangji nodded. Hua Cheng and Xie Lian were talking with Lan Xichen who was, at the moment, feeling pretty hurt that he never knew just how much pain resided in his brother. He knew that what Wangji had said was true, he broke Wangji's trust and he felt like he would really have to work hard to gain it back. It was never his intention to harm him or Wuxian. Hua Ying's parents told Lan Xichen about the recent development with Wangji and Hua Ying and how they wanted to marry. They wanted to let Xichen know that they will trust him again and it will be okay. Hua Ying and his parents stepped out so that Xichen and Wangji could talk and work things out.

"Wangji, why did you wait so long to tell me all this?" Xichen asked.

"I was afraid," he replied and tears came out again, "you are important to me and you are all I have. You understand me more than Shufu ever could. I just felt that I needed to let it go because my feelings don't matter."

"Why do you say your feelings don't matter?" Xichen asked, "of course they matter."

"If they mattered, then why did it take so long for anyone to tell me that mother was dead? I was told she left but not dead. If they mattered, why did Wei Ying have to suffer? If they mattered, why didn't you prove that to me? I felt like I was a bad kid because I was told mother left and she never opened the door. Did they matter because I loved a man? So tell me, do they matter? Do they really matter?" Wangji asked.

"Yes they do," Xichen said holding his brother's face in his hands, "and I am so sorry that I hurt you this much. It is very difficult to balance family and sect duties. Of course I know I made mistakes with Wei Wuxian back then. He has returned and I want to make amends with him. I approved of the engagement and I know, that no matter what, Shufu cannot say no. I will make this right, and I will do what I can to gain your trust again."

"Huan-Ge, I'm sorry," he said.

Lan Xichen shook his head and pulled Wangji into a hug, "no, I am sorry," he said, "and as for Jin Guangyao, I don't trust him, not after Hua Ying came. Before I was suspicious of some things but Hua Ying made me realize the truth about him. I am, however, trying to hide that I know his motives. Manipulating the manipulator."

Wangji nodded, "help me with Hua Ying..his fear of dogs followed him to this life...he is having difficulty being in Yunmeng. Can you help me get him out safely? We are still needed to head southwest," he said.

"I will," Xichen agreed.

////////////////
Well, my brain is clogged with a dozen emotions right now. 😂 more coming soon.