29

Hua Cheng stayed with Hua Ying while Xie Lian took Xichen and Wangji outside in the courtyard of the in. He then showed them the weapon they found, and the rest of the body. Xichen was close to collapsing. It was Baxia, the saber of Chifeng Zun and the body, was Chifeng Zun himself, just without his head.

Xie Lian then told them the events that happened, and that they ended up in a place called Yi City. He then told them about the man in the ghost mask, Xue Yang, Xiao Xingchen, and Song Lan.

"Xiao Xingchen was Wei Ying's martial uncle, if I remember correctly," Wangji said.

"Hua Cheng or I will talk to him about it," Xie Lian said, "but going back to the man in the mask. I fought with him. Since I know of the different sword styles for each sect, this person knows the Jin sect's style, and Gusu's style of swordsmanship. Maybe a hint of Nie sect as well. They were all meshed into one sword style...do either of you know who that might be? As you know Jin Guangyao is a suspect."

Xichen nodded. He had ideas but he couldn't think of anyone else other than Jin Guangyao, "I'm not sure. Since I didn't face him myself, it's hard to say," Xichen said.

"He did get away with the Yin Hu Fu, as you know there is one hanging around," Xie Lian said.

"Wei Ying destroyed his though," Wangji said.

"This one isn't the one Wei Wuxian used. It's not as strong as what Wei Wuxian had. Though it was used to help alter Chenqing back then," Xie Lian explained.

"There was two flutes," Wangji confirmed, "before Wen Ning was taken away, I asked him personally what happened. He said he heard a second flute."

"Which means someone was using Wei Wuxian as bait so they could get away with killing people," Xie Lian said.

Wangji nodded. Most of his thoughts were on Hua Ying. Seeing him crying when they got back to the in was painful for him.

"Hua Cheng is good at comforting Hua Ying," Xie Lian said to Wangji, "it's annoying sometimes as he is sometimes the only one who can calm him down."

Wangji nodded and couldn't help but smile, "he has wonderful parents," he said.

"We are your parents now too...well soon," Xie Lian said then looked at Xichen, "and yours."

Lan Xichen smiled, "thank you."

"Of course, you both have such a big impact on our son's life. Even back then when he was Wei Wuxian, he respected you both," Xie Lian said, "despite being called selfish."

Lan Xichen looked at Xie Lian. He remembered his words, "There are set rules in the world, and goodness is with regulation, if you were the only one in the world, surely you could do whatever you please, but unfortunately, there are others too. I hope you won't be so self-centred since the people you care about are affected by your actions."

"I'm sorry I didn't know if Wei Wuxian's situation back then," Xichen said.

"You know, despite it, he still respected you. He wished to look at you as an older brother figure," Xie Lian told him, "Hua Cheng and I spent a lot of time learning about Wei Wuxian during my pregnancy with Hua Ying. I was surprised to see how much compassion he has for people, no matter how much they hated him."

"I never hated him," Xichen said, "I never thought that he would ever be in such a situation either but it happened."

Lan Wangji was silent. Remembering his confession to his brother not long ago he was still having trouble with trust.

"Yet you let others say otherwise," Wangji said.

Lan Xichen looked at Wangji, and remembered their conversation, "I'm trying my best to fix my mistakes, Wangji. I swear to you."

"Fix it by dealing with Jin Guangyao," Wangji said and went back inside the in.

Lan Xichen sighed and hung his head back, "I am sorry," he said quietly and looked down at the ground.

"He will come around," Xie Lian said, "if it's alright, I'll try to to have a conversation with him."

"Sure," Xichen said, "but I am still going to try talking with him."

"I know," Xie Lian said, "I didn't say those things to upset either of you. It's just that Hua Ying even now, trusts you and feels content with calling you a brother. Even if he hasn't been able to say so yet. He is mischievous like Hua Cheng but he still has his insecurities."

"With what happened with Jiang Cheng, I was surprised by the words that was said. Not really about the truth of his golden core but about Jiang Cheng's parents," Xichen said.

"Hua Ying has a way to try and provoke people, same goes for Hua Cheng. It's always me who helps to make sure to keep either of them from action on their worst impulses. I'm hoping Wangji can help with that," Xie Lian said.

"I'm sure he will," Xichen said.

"Want to head back inside?" Xie Lian asked.

Xichen nodded and followed him inside. Wangji had already gone to sleep by the time they got back to the room. Hua Cheng was asleep still having Hua Ying in his arms. Xie Lian told Xichen to get some sleep. So he did. Xie Lian went over to his little family and snuggled close to them before sleeping himself.