37

Hua Ying's parents had to go do a few things but they didn't want Hua Ying to be on his own. It was quite early in the morning but Lan Wangji was awake and said he would take care of Hua Ying. Xie Lian had to go speak with the heaven officials of the recent information about Wei Wuxian's past and also with Jin Guangyao. Hua Cheng was needed back in Ghost City for a few days to take care of a few things. Before leaving, they spoke with Lan Xichen about having to step out and that Wangji was looking after Hua Ying.

Lan Xichen went to go keep Wangji company as Hua Ying was still sleeping. They wanted him to sleep for a while. He was tired and he needed the rest.

"Do you not trust me alone with him?" Wangji asked.

"That isn't it at all, I am just wanting to keep you company until Hua Ying wakes up," Xichen said.

"Do you trust me with him?" Wangji asked again.

"Of course I do," Xichen said, "I know you would never overstep your boundaries and I know Hua Ying is the same. Why would you think that?"

"We don't have a lot of alone time," Wangji said.

"You are engaged, and you will ascend as a god to live with him shortly after you marry. You two will have plenty of alone time in the future," Xichen said, "but I get it, you don't want to spend time with me."

Xichen gets up to leave, "Ge?!" Wangji said, "not true, I just need yo know you trust me alone with him. I feel like there are times where you do not trust me."

Lan Xichen wanted to bang his head against the wall for making Wangji feel as if he could not be trusted. Lan Xichen has let him down in the past and he has been doing what he can to make it up to him. Getting Jin Guangyao locked up for his crimes would be the first step.

"I trust you more than anyone," Xichen said as he knelt beside Wangji, "I am sorry that I ever made you feel as if I did not. I hurt you so much back then and didn't want to listen to what you were really saying. I am going to spend the rest of my life just trying to make it up to you."

"Ge, I love you, you are my brother and I couldn't have asked for a better one. I just need to know I can count on you. I need my GeGe back," Wangji said.

Lan Xichen nodded and pulled her Wangji into a hug, "I love you too, Didi. I will make sure that you can always count on me. I will make sure to gain your trust again."

As they were talking, Hua Ying started to tremble in his sleep. He was dreaming.

In a flashing memory, a ghost white fist burst through the chest of Jin Zixuan. Jin Zixun screaming orders to shoot and kill Wei Wuxian. As Wuxian fell to the ground from shock, an eerie melody was heard off in the distance. Wuxian was then, standing in the middle of the battle field of Nightless City. So many people were bashing him, telling him he was scum and a monster. Jiang Yanli's corpse laid next to Wuxian in Jiang Cheng's arms. Wuxian had snapped the neck who took his Shijie's life away.

Soon standing at the edge of that cliff. He hears Hanguang Jun call out to him, "Wei Ying, come back to me!"

A montage of memories burst through his mind. Yanli carrying him, Wei Wuxian eating Lotus Root and Pork Ribs soup, learning to use a bow, learning to use a sword, getting Suibian, meeting Lan Wangji and having their midnight dance as Wuxian tries to get out of being punished. Spending time writing out rules and staring at Lan Wangji, teasing Lan Wangji, giving Lan Wangji a couple bunnies. The forehead ribbon wrapped around their wrists, the lanterns, their promise, Wei Wuxian reflecting after a fight, and Wei Wuxian later being playful with his sworn siblings.

It all crashed through his mind, "they will be my cherished memories," he said to himself and looked at Lan Wangji, "I'm sorry."

Wei Wuxian fell back and his arm was suddenly caught by Lan Wangji. Lan Wangji tried to save him, but Wei Wuxian broke free and fell to his death.

"No!" Hua Ying yelled as he bolted upright.

Lan Xichen and Lan Wangji jumped from the sudden outburst but then immediately sprung into action. Wangji and Xichen positioned Hua Ying between the two and let him try to catch his breath.

"No!" Hua Ying said again shaking his head, "it hurts."

"What hurts?" Wangji asked calmly.

"My heart," Hua Ying said, "Wei Wuxian! It hurts!"

Wangji and Xichen spent a good amount of time comforting Hua Ying. Hua Ying was soothed and snuggled up more into Wangji. His presence alone helped him feel better, he felt safe and relaxed. Lan Xichen left them when he knew Wangji would be okay to handle him. Xichen wanted to go get something for Hua Ying to eat so he left to get his breakfast.

"Lan Zhan, don't let me go! Don't let me fall!" Hua Ying said.

"Never," Wangji said, "those are all in the past. I will always be there for you."

"Can you do something for me?" Hua Ying asked.

"Anything," Wangji replied.

"I need your comfort," Hua Ying said, "will you kiss me?"

Wangji found it sweet that Hua Ying found comfort just through kissing him. Wangji lifted Hua Ying's chin with his forefinger and thumb and gently placed his lips to Hua Ying's. Hua Ying needed this closeness to help him know that this is reality not a dream. He needed Wangji's love and comfort to know that he would be okay. It was something so special that a simple kiss can make Hua Ying feel so much better.

When Wangji pulled away from the kiss, he pulled Hua Ying onto his lap. Hua Ying shoved his face into the crook of Wangji's neck, soaking in the soothing and relaxing scent of sandalwood. Wangji held Hua Ying close and started to hum their song. The soothing sound of Wangji's voice through his humming was so soothing to Hua Ying that it allowed him to fall back to sleep in Wangji's arms. Wangji wasn't going to leave his side, not until Hua Ying wants him to. He was their for him, and he was determined to always help Hua Ying feel relaxed and safe with him.