3. venkman vs. venkman

VENKMAN VS. VENKMAN

October 31st, 1984
7:00 am 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ Stephanie bikes as fast as her legs would let her, trying to get to school. Usually, Steve would've driven her to school once it gets cold outside, but lately he's been on a streak of waking up late.

Stephanie was going to tell the party that no one would wear costumes, but she decided that it would be funnier to make fun of them instead.

"You're late." Mike stares at her as he puts her bike on the rack.

"You're ugly," she denounced weakly.

"Where's your costume?" Will asked, looking at her jeans and foral patterned shirt.

Stephanie was planning on being Sandy Olsson from Grease, but luckily she came to her senses before the Halloween season.

"Well I didn't-"

Mike cuts her off and turns to Lucas, "Woah woah woah, why are you Venkman?"

"...Because I'm Venkman?" Lucas interjects with a duh tone.

"No, I'm Venkman." Mike points to his name tag.

"Why can't there just be two Venkmans?" Stephanie asks, butting in.

"Because there's only one Venkman in real life! We planned this months ago! Dustin's Egon, Will's Stanz, I'm Venkman and you're Winston!" Mike points to each kid as he lists out their characters.

Ghostbusters isn't even real, Michael.

"I specifically didn't agree to Winston."

"Yes, you did."

Stephanie takes a step into the circle that they had formed while talking, "I don't think he did."

"No one wants to be Winston, man!"

"Why? What's wrong with Winston?

"What's wrong with Winston? He joined the team super late, he's not even funny, and he's not even a scientist!" Lucas exclaims as he counts off his fingers.

"Winstons still cool!"

"If he's so cool, then you be Winston!"

"I-I can't."

"Why not?"

"B-because."

"B-b-because," Lucas mocks, narrowing his eyes before he says, "because you're not black?"

Mike tries to defend himself "I never said that!"

"You thought it."

During this spat between Lucas and Mike (Stephanie is totally on Lucas's side) Dustin wandered off towards the busses that kids were getting off of.

"Guys...guys..guys! Why is no one else wearing a costume?" Dustin yells, interrupting the two.

The party all turns to the school buses with panic in their eyes.

"And that," Stephanie puts her arms around Will and Lucas, "that is why I'm not wearing a costume today." She walks away quickly to the entrance as to not be associated with the four today, even though everyone already knew she was friends with them.

————

༺♥༻ Stephanie fumbles with her locker code as she hears a vague conversation between Lucas and Dustin about talking to Max.

In those outfits? No way.

Stephanie makes her way over to Dustin and Lucas to try and save them before they're embarrassed for life.

"Actually we weren't stalking you"

What?

"We were just concerned because, you know, you're new and all."

"Yeah! Yeah! For your safety!"

"Mmm-hmm. There are a lot of bullies here."

Lucas stutters through his words, "Yeah-s-so many bullies is crazy."

Max looks at Dustin up and down. "Is that why your wearing proton packs?"

She's funny, too? Wow.

"Well, these don't function. But! I do have this handy-dandy little trap here. And look, it even opens and closes. Look, look, look." The doors to Dustin's makeshift ghost catcher pop open when he presses a button on the handle. "Voilà! It's cool right?..."

Max doesn't answer him.

Dustin's probably scaring her.

Dustin keeps talking after the awkward silence that probably wouldn't be so awkward to anyone other than Stephanie. "So, we were talking last night, and you're new here, so you probably don't have any friends to take you trick-or-treating, and you're scared of bullies, so uh we-we were thinking that it would be okay if you come with us."

It'd be okay? Oh, my God Dustin.

"It'd be okay?" Max scoffs.

"Yeah. Our party's a democracy, the majority voted you could come." Dustin nods, completely oblivious.

"I didn't realize it was such an honor to go trick-or-treating with you," she shoots back.

"Well we do know where to get the full sized candy bars. We figured you'd want in," Dustin replies with a smile.

"That's presumptuous of you."

"Yeah!" Dustin answers, obviously not knowing what presumptuous means.

Max gives him another look up and down, then turns around and starts walking away but Stephanie is standing awkwardly close.

Stephanie shoots Max a 'I wasn't being creepy and eavesdropping on your conversation' smile.

"Oh! and you'll be with Stephanie! Y'know! Girl time!" Lucas exclaims.

"Okay. I'll come. Just for you, Steph," Max says, giving Stephanie a small smile.

"I'd love that," Stephanie replies to the redhead, almost melting into a puddle of emotions.

༺♥༻
soooo what do we think? i think it's going very well but i'm open to constructive criticism and also ship names 🥹🫶🏻