52. take on me

TAKE ON ME

March 29th, 1986
12:30 pm, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ Stephanie opens her eyes to find Steve sitting in a chair across from her, head in his hands.

"Steve?" She says, realizing only then her mouth is drier than a desert.

Steve looks up from the floor and gives his sister a half smile. "Hey, Stephie."

Stephanie looks around the room, realizing she's in a hospital bed. "What happened?"

"Uh, you passed out two days ago from blood loss because of three different stab wounds and a concussion." He nods to himself, talking low and slowly. "Max and Erica called someone and an ambulance brought you here. But you're okay now."

Stephanie looks down at her lap. "Where's Max?"

"She should be here soon."

The door swings open and in comes the whole party, Will and El, too. Dustin slowly coming through the door, on crutches.

"What!" Stephanie exclaims as Max's face lights and comes barreling towards her, a bouquet of flowers in hand.

Max engulfs Stephanie in a half hug as the flowers fall onto her lap. "I missed you!" Max yells as Stephanie pats her back.

Stephanie gives hugs to everyone one by one, including Robin and Nancy.

When the chatter dies down, Stephanie furrows her brows. "Where's Eddie?"

Dustin looks down at his feet. "He's in another room. Still hasn't woken up yet."

"Well, what happened to him? What happened to you?" Stephanie says, looking down at Dustin's leg.

Lucas steps forward, clearing his throat. "He wanted to buy us more time so he went back out to fight the bats himself, Dustin tried to go back through the gate, but he fell through."

Stephanie tries to lean forward, but it stopped by a sharp pain shooting from her stomach. "Is he okay?"

"The doctors say he'll be fine." Dustin nods and smiles weakly.

"What do the doctors say about me?" Stephanie asks, trying to find a good way to remember exactly what happened.

"They say you might not remember everything at first, and to give it time." Robin answers sitting down on the edge of Stephanie's bed. "They said that the drugs they gave you will wear off soon and the pain will be pretty bad considering you were stabbed three times."

"Three?" Stephanie scrunches her nose. "I only remember it happening once."

"Concussion." Robin says in a sing song voice while tapping her head.

————
4:30

༺♥༻ Hours later, and Stephanie has taken about fifteen naps, Max refusing to leave even after visiting hours are over.

Stephanie takes what is left of her strength, stands up on wobbly legs, and walks towards the gun. She picks up the gun and silently walks over to Jason, pointing it at him.