51. bloody, beaten, and bruised

BLOODY, BEATEN, AND BRUISED

March 27th, 1986
7:30 pm, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ "You can't be here right now, man."

Jason bends down next to Max. "Is this what you did to Chrissy?"

Stephanie slowly walks towards Jason, almost herding him out of the room. "I didn't do anything to Chrissy."

"Hey, can you hear me?"

"Jason, do not touch her."

"What's wrong with her?"

"I'm not messing around, alright?"

"Hey, can you hear me?"

"Jason, please, just-"

Jason jumps up to a standing position, pulling a gun out of his pocket and pointing it at Stephanie, who instinctively puts her hands up, not dropping her flashlight.

"Jason, stop." Stephanie pants, trying to keep calm. "We don't have to do this, okay?" Her hands shake, her mind racing as she's trying to comprehend the idea that she could not make it out of this house.

"Yeah, I hope you're right." Jason's chest heaves as he licks his lips and straightens his arms. "Is there anyone else in the house?"

Stephanie's mouth goes dry. "No. There's nobody else."

Jason takes a quick look over his shoulder, repositioning his grip on the gun. "Turn around."

"No."

"Turn around!"

Jason shoots right beside the girl, mere feet from Stephanie's arm, making her flinch at the loud noise. "Holy shit are you crazy? You could've fucking shot me!"

"And I will if you don't listen to me!" Jason yells, emphasizing his words with the gun he's waving around. "Here's what's gonna happen. I'm gonna back away to the top of the stairs there. Then I'm going to watch as you wake her up from whatever the hell this is."

"I can't, okay?" Stephanie doesn't break their eye contact. "If I wake her too soon, we all will die."

"No." Jason laughs disbelievingly, clicking the safety off. "Only you."

Stephanie feels her heartbeat thump in her ears as she thinks of any possible solution.

"No, no, no." Stephanie can feel her lips tremble as she speaks. "We call him Vecna. He-he lives in another dimension. That the reason why you can't see him."

"What? So, Eddie Munson and his...his Hellfire acolytes," Jason scoffs, taking steps closer to Stephanie. "You all summoned this Vecna?"

Stephanie puts her hands out, trying to stop Jason from moving forward. "You're not listening to me. Just listen. There is no cult. There never was!"

Jason raises the gun in front of Stephanie's face, surely to kill her if he decides to shoot. "Then why was Chrissy at Eddie's trailer?"