44. boom, nostalgia

BOOM, NOSTALGIA

March 26th, 1986
12:20 pm, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ "Not to be a wimp, but can I maybe sit in the car for this visit?" Robin says from the front seat through the radio. "Cause this is gonna totally and royally suck."

"It'll be fine, Robin." Stephanie rolls her eyes from the backseat. "You're just overthinking it again."

Robin rests her head on the window. "I just can't stand to see those dull eyes of Eddie's break again. I really, really can't."

Steve holds up the six-pack he bought. "At least he can drink himself into feeling better." He says between bites of the food they got for Eddie.

"Steve!" Stephanie turns around to the boy sitting in the back of the Station Wagon. "We bought that food for Eddie, right?"

Steve slowly nods.

"Right." Stephanie nods along with her brother. "So let's not eat it, okay?" She fake smiles as Steve puts the top on the can of chips he was eating from.

"Why don't we just give it a trial run?" Robin continues. "Hey, Eddie. Uh, good news first this time. We got you some Dustin-approved junk food and that six-pack that you requested. Oh yeah, and we found Vecna. Only the bad news is is that he's in that other, darker, much scarier dimension that we told you about and the gate's closed, so we have no way of getting to him. He's entirely shut off to us, so basically you're screwed. And, no, no, I know that you were already screwed but now you're, like, doubly, triply screwed!" She rambles without taking a breath.

"Wait, wait, wait." Lucas starts, definitely off put by Robins speech.

Stephanie gives a look to Lucas. "Maybe we don't put it like that."

"We're one step closer to finding Vecna." Nancy offers. "That's what we say. That's what's important."

Stephanie turns over to Max and lowers her voice. "One step out of fourteen hundred steps."

Max nods and rolls her eyes in agreement.

"See, Robin?" Steve speaks up from the backseat. "A positive spin can make all the difference."

As Nancy pulls into the driveway of Reefer Rick's house, she stops at the sight of almost a dozen police cars and news vans. "Oh shit." She whispers as she slows down.

The gang jumps out of the car and hides behind a news van to get a better look at all the commotion around the house.

"...Reporting a homicide here on the lake."

Was it Eddie?

Lucas gives a worried look to Stephanie, who has the same look on her face.

The Chief continues to give information about the victim.

"An eighteen year old senior from Hawkins High, Patrick McKinney."

"Oh, my God." Stephanie whispers under her breath.

"We've also identified a person of interest." The Chief holds up a printed picture of Eddie to the crowd. "Eddie Munson."