18. starcourt mall

STARCOURT MALL

June 27th, 1985
8:30 pm, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ Summers in Hawkins are the best time of year.

Stephanie Harrington can do whatever she wants, whenever she wants. Like going to the recently built mall—Starcourt.

Steve managed to get a job an ice cream shop in the mall, so Steve knows the ins and outs of the mall. Therefore, Stephanie knows the ins and outs of the mall. Resulting in what might be one too many sneaking into rated R movie situations. Keyword: Might.

Stephanie spends a lot of her time hanging out with Steve and his coworker, Robin, who Stephanie thinks is the most coolest girl ever.

After talking with Robin one day, she learned that there is in fact, gay people everywhere. Stephanie learned (from Robin) the term lesbian, which she thinks has a nice ring to it.

In her extra time, Stephanie hangs out with the party (in which Max is officially in, thanks to Stephanie's astounding persuasive skills) at the mall or swimming in Stephanie's pool. Walking to the 7-Eleven to buy slurpees, or even just staying inside and watching a movie. Specifically The Breakfast Club, one of Stephanie's favorite new releases.

Today in particular, Stephanie, Max, Will, and Lucas are all waiting outside of the mall for Mike, who is now thirty minutes late.

The party planned to see (sneak into) the movie, Day of the Dead tonight, but Mike has been spending all day everyday at El's house. Stephanie doesn't even want to think about what they do all day. What she does know is that Hopper implemented a 'three inch minimum' for the bedroom door, because Mike won't stop bitching about it.

Finally after waiting for almost an hour, Stephanie sees Mike biking towards them.

Mike stops in front of the bike rack and puts his bike away while Lucas scolds him. "You're late."

"Again." Stephanie crosses her arms.

"Sorry," Mike pants.

Will rolls his eyes. "We're gonna miss the opening!"

"Again!" Stephanie repeats, this time with more urgency.

Mike starts to walk into the mall. "Yeah, if you guys keep whining about it."

"If you guys keep whining about it," Lucas mocks. "Nyeh-nyeh-nyeh."

"Just please stop talking, dude." Mike rolls his eyes.

"Let me guess," Stephanie starts, already laughing. "You were busy..." she makes kissing noises.

"Oh, yeah, real mature, Stephanie," Mike says, scoffing.

"Oh, El, I wish we could make out forever, and never hang out with any of our friends," Lucas continues, turning to Stephanie as if she were El.

"Lucas, stop," Max rolls her eyes.

Max and Lucas have been 'dating' ever since the snowball. They never actually said it, but everyone knew. Stephanie knew. Every time she sees Lucas and Max together, it reminds her of the snowball...and how that night ended. She knows that it's not Max's fault that Stephanie feels this way, how would Max know? But still, Stephanie feels hurt that Max doesn't feel the same way about her. All of Stephanie's heart still belongs to Max, even though her and Lucas are...y'know. A thing.