*vii.

NOTHING FOR A LADY TO BE DOING

September 6th, 1985
7:30 am, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ Stephanie walks into Hawkins Highschool on her first day of freshman year already in a bad mood.

Since Billy, Max has grown away from the party—Stephanie included. Almost instantly, she stopped coming over to Stephanie's house, avoiding the weekly Dungeons and Dragons game, and always finding an excuse not to call. So Stephanie already started the day in a bad mood, knowing that she'll have to see Max at some point.

Stephanie heads for her first class of the day, not doing an amazing job at keeping her judgmental looks to herself. One girl, presumably a senior, stops Stephanie mid-hallway.

"Hey, aren't you Steve Harrington's sister?" She asks, eyes wide and curious while smoothing a piece of her long dark hair.

Stephanie holds back an eye roll, trying not to come off as completely unlikeable on the first day of high school. "Yeah, what's it to you?" Okay, probably not the best execution. But who cares? Stephanie doesn't owe this girl anything.

"Do you think you could introduce me to him? I mean, he's cute and all, you know?" The girl smiles, seemingly oblivious to any form of high school version of social structures.

"No thanks, I'm good." Stephanie gives the girl a tight smile and walks away, ignoring the itch she feels, making her want to turn around.

————

༺♥༻ "Hey! Stephanie! I need an eraser." Mike whispers from behind, flicking her in the shoulder in an attempt to get her attention.

"Not now, Mike." Stephanie whisper yells back, turning a couple heads towards her.

"Come on, please!" Mike keeps going, totally disregarding the teacher, Mr. Stewart, explaining the syllabus and rules for the year. "I know you have one."

Stephanie turns around to face Mike. "I said, not now, Mike!" She says, her voice beginning to rise. "Get off my back, will you?"

"Miss Harrington!"

Stephanie whips her head forward, seeing the teacher eyeing her, along with the rest of the class with their eyes fixed onto Stephanie's reddening face. Mostly out of annoyance. She really couldn't care what anyone else thought of her.

"Would you like to share something with the rest of the class?"

Stephanie slumps down in her seat. "No."

"Okay. If you were listening to the syllabus I was reading out loud, then you would know that you aren't allowed to talk unless you are called upon. Let alone raising your voice. It's nothing for a lady to be doing, Miss Harrington."

"A lady?" Stephanie repeats, appalled. "Who are you to tell me what I can't do?"

Mr. Stewart smooths out his beard, like he's in deep thought. "And that is a detention for you, Miss Harrington. Today, right after school. Room 205."

"Yeah. Alright." Stephanie answers, a small part of her surprised that she doesn't care about a detention. Three years ago, her life would've been over if she got a detention. There's just more important things to worry about now, Stephanie guesses. What's one detention gonna do?

༺♥༻
heyyy bonus chapter 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

so sorry for the lack of updates on take on me and crazy kid...😬 i've read the agggtm series probably within a week and a half and i can't stop so i've been spending hours a day reading instead of writing yk. (whoops) (i just have to finish one more book then there will be more updates)

speaking of that, the more updates is probably a lie since i start school on the 6th and it's currently 11:57 pm on the 4th 🙁 so not excited for eighth grade 😐😐😐😐

anyways byeeee

9/4/23