4. shut up, michael

SHUT UP, MICHAEL

October 31st, 1984
6:00 pm 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ "So, how to I look?" Stephanie asks Steve while twirling in her yellow Sandy Olsson dress and short white heels.

"Amazing, Steph," Steve replies to the girl with a genuine smile.

"Right well, I'll see you later, at. like...eleven...maybe one...or like, two." Stephanie gestures towards the door with an awkward smile.

"Nine!"

Yeah, yeah whatever

Stephanie walks outside, grabs her bike, and starts to Mike's, where everyone is meeting.

As she pedals closer she sees the boys jumping around and yelling for God knows what reason.

It's just one night. What's the big deal?

————

Stephanie is excited.

But also scared.

It's already seven thirty and Max still hasn't shown up.

Was she just joking? Was I too far ahead of myself? Does she actually not want to hang out with me? What if she doesn't show up? What if she does show up? Will she think I'm weird? Or too clingy? What will she dress up as? Will she not dress up? Will she think I'm weird because I'm dressed up?

Stephanie has worried her way down the road to the next house.

"Trick or Treat!"

"Aw look, the little exterminators and Mary Poppins!"

They all share an awkward look before digging their hands into the candy bucket.

"If I get another three musketeers I'm going to kill myself!" Lucas says while holding a three musketeers out for everyone to see.

"Why? What's wrong with three musketeers?" Dustin's asks Lucas, probably offended.

"What's wrong with three musketeers?" Lucas repeats as if he didn't hear it right.

"Nobody likes three musketeers," Mike explains to the group.

"Well, I like three musketeers," Stephanie butts in.

"Nobody cares, Stephanie," Mike shoots back at Stephanie, earning a glare in return.

"How? It's just nougat?" Will asks to no one in particular.

Dustin answers Will with lots of passion in his voice, "oh, just nougat? No, it's like top three for me."

"Top three?" Lucas asks, squinting his eyes.

"Top three," Dustin confirms.

"Oh, God," Mike sighs, "give me a break."

"No, like, I can eat a whole bowl of nougat, straight up."

Stephanie was about to agree with Dustin, but someone with a Micheal Myers mask and a fake knife jumps out and starts screaming, scaring the group. The party screams and almost falls backwards in fear. The person slowly takes off their mask, laughing.