34. do i still have friends?

DO I STILL HAVE FRIENDS?

March 21st, 1986
8:15 am, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ "I think that's a great idea, Mike."

Stephanie runs up to her friends and squishes between Mike to stand next to Lucas. "What's going on?"

"Thank you, Dustin." Mike sighs, looking away from the other three.

Lucas shoots an annoyed look at Stephanie. "This is the championship game."

"And this is the end of Eddie's campaign." Dustin adds, obviously irritated.

"Oh, that's what's going on." Stephanie whispers.

"A semester of adventuring has led to this moment, and we need you two." Dustin tries again.

As the four walk into school, Dustin continues to drone on and on about how they can 'move the game' and 'Hellfire is more important than basketball'.

"You need to find someone else, I guess." Stephanie scoffs, tired of the arguing. "We can't ditch our commitments to play some stupid board game, anyway." Stephanie grabs Lucas by the wrist and pulls him into the classroom.

————

༺♥༻ Stephanie eyes Max walking down the hallway with her usual glare as she puts her folders into her locker.

She gives her usual half hearted smile and Max gives her usual nod as she awkwardly walks away.

But this time, Stephanie has a well rehearsed speech in her head about what to say. Almost. It's safe to say she's over though it a lot.

Stephanie pulls a ticket to the basketball game and takes a deep breath as she shuts her locker and catches up to Max.

Apparently, Max had more important places to be as she practically runs into the counseling room.

Oh, well then.

Stephanie's eyes widen as Max basically storms back through the door five minutes later. "Max, hey." She says, pushing herself off of the wall and running behind Max.

Max turns around with a look of confusion at the sight of her ex girlfriends sudden appearance. "Are you stalking me or something?" Max scoffs, not stopping her strides.

"No, I...I just wanted you to have this." Stephanie hands Max the ticket that she bought for her. "It's a ticket to the game tonight." She explains before Max asks.

Max snatches the ticket from Stephanie's hand. "Why would I go?"

"I mean, it's the big game and our team is doing a special routine and Lucas will be th-" Stephanie starts, but is cut off by Max.

"You think I really care about this?" Max argues as she holds up the ticket.

"I thought you would." Stephanie stops in her tracks as Max stops walking from a few feet ahead. "Maybe you should find something you can do, too."

"The fuck is that supposed to mean, Stephanie?" Max glares with annoyance.

Stephanie stutters, surprised at the name. "I...You're just..."