12. its a manual

ITS A MANUAL

November 4th, 1984
8:30 pm, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༻ No one knows what to do.

Hopper is on the phone calling for some doctor, while also occasionally yelling at the person on the other end.

Jonathan is talking to Will, who's still sleeping.

Steve's pacing.

Mrs. Byers is sitting in Will's room.

The party is sitting at the kitchen table in silence, listening to Hopper.

"I am the police! Chief Jim Hopper!"

When he yells, Stephanie slightly jumps. It reminded her of when her parents would fight all the time. Mostly about her and Steve.

Hopper eventually hangs up the phone.

"They didn't believe you, did they?" Dustin asks.

Hopper sighs. "We'll see."

" 'We'll see?' We can't just sit here while those things are loose!" Mike yells back, he's the only one who is this worked up.

"We stay here, and we wait for help." Hopper says roughly, then he walks away.

The party, again, is left with just silence.

Thinking about Will.

Thinking about the monsters.

Thinking about Max. Well, Stephanie's thinking about Max.

Mike stands up and walks over to the table in the living room. He picks up a blue cube that is rubber banded together. "Did you guys know that Bob was the original founder of Hawkins AV?"

Bob was Mrs. Byers boyfriend who never made it out of the lab. The monsters got there before him.

"Really?" Lucas asks.

Mike turns around. "He petitioned the school to start it and everything. Then he had a fundraiser for equipment. Mr. Clarke learned everything from him. Pretty awesome, right?"

"Yeah."

Mike sets the cube on the kitchen table. "We can't let him die in vain."

"What do you want to do, Mike?" Dustin snaps. "The Chief's right on this. We can't stop those Demo-dogs on our own."

"Demo-dogs?" Max questions.

"Demogorgan. Dogs." Dustin puts a hand out for each word. "Demodogs." He puts his hands together like he's putting the words together. "It's like a compound. It's like a play on words-"

"Okay," Max interrupts while giving Stephanie a look.

Dustin continues. "I mean, when it was Dart, maybe...."

"But there's an army now," Lucas finishes.

"Precisely."