30. a lot of yelling

A LOT OF YELLING

July 4th, 1985
10:30 pm, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ Stephanie and Max return to the aisle where El and Mike are. They see the rest of the group helping El stand up, even though they haven't cleaned her cut.

Mike explains that they need to find Dustin, and fast, that he could be in danger.

Stephanie realizes right then that she hasn't seen Dustin in almost a week.

The girls follow Mike and Will, who are helping El walk to the frozen food section in the store.

Everyone opens the freezer door as quickly as possible, so El can use the humming noise as a different form of static, like how she did at the pool.

Stephanie finds an American flag hung up near an almost empty firework display. She takes it off the wall and folds it up for El to use as a blindfold.

The others silently wait as El starts to look for Dustin. Then, breaking through the silence, a soda can opens.

Stephanie whips her head towards the source of the sound, Lucas, and over dramatically puts her finger to her lips, indicating for him to shut up.

"Quiet." Max whispers, wide eyed.

"Oh, sorry." Lucas apologizes, probably not actually sorry.

Mike looks at Lucas in disgust. "How do you even drink that?"

"Because it's delicious." Lucas says in an obvious tone.

"What?" Mike and Max exclaim in unison.

Lucas shrugs. "It's like Carpenter's The Thing." He explains. "The original is a classic, no question about it. But the remake..." Lucas takes another loud sip of Coke. "Sweeter, bolder...better."

"You're insane." Mike whispers, earning a chuckle from Stephanie.

"So you prefer the original Thing?"

Mike starts to talk louder. "What? No, I'm not-"

"How about we all stop talking?" Stephanie proposes, tired of the constant arguing.

Instantly, the boys stop talking and Max holds out her hand, offering a high-five. Stephanie graciously accepts, quietly hitting Max's hand with her own.

After a few moments of silence, El pulls of her blindfold. "I found him."

"Where is he?" Mike asks, not entirely ready for the answer.

"The movies." She responds, offering out her hand for Stephanie and Max to help.

Stephanie and Max help El walk to the door as Lucas pulls a shopping cart overflowing with boxes of fireworks.

Will and Lucas carry out the shopping cart as Max, Stephanie, and El slowly walk behind them. "Is this considered stealing?" Stephanie whispers, the thought only just now coming to her mind.

"I think so." Max shrugs. "I've stolen before, so it's okay." She adds, unnervingly nonchalant about it.

"I'm sorry, what?" Stephanie asks, entirely surprised at the fact that Max Mayfield would steal something.