8. difficult words and a musical number

DIFFICULT WORDS AND A MUSICAL NUMBER

November 3rd, 1984
12:00 pm, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ "Do I have to come flower shopping with you?" Stephanie groans while putting her shoes on.

Steve fixes his hair, looking in the mirror.  "Yes. Yes you do. You're a girl, so you know what Nancy would like."

"A girl who would not enjoy flowers as a present."

Steve pulls out index cards from his jacket pocket and starts mumbling words to himself.

Stephanie rolls her eyes. "Did you write a speech for her? What's next? Are you gonna preform a musical number devoting your love?"

Steve looks up from his cards. "You think she'll like that?"

"No," she deadpans.

Steve scoffs and rolls his eyes. "Just get in the car."

Stephanie opens the door and mumbles, "someone's testy today."

Stephanie walks to Steve's car and opens the passenger side door. She gets in and waits for Steve.

What's he doing? Putting more hairspray in his hair?

Steve walks out the house and gets into the car. The fresh hairspray scent is still lingering.

As Steve turns the car on Stephanie turns to her brother. "If you keep putting more hairspray in your hair, it'll fall out by next year. Or even next month."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Asshole," Steve mumbles just loud enough for Stephanie to hear.

Stephanie turns to face the road. "That is no way to talk to your sister, Steven."

"Why did I take you?"

"You wanted my executive opinion on flowers for your girlfriend...Ex girlfriend?"

Steve doesn't answer and instead turns the radio on. He flips through the channels and lands on a station playing The Beatles.

"Oh yeah, I need you to take me to Max's house after our flower shopping extravaganza," Stephanie says while changing the radio channel.

"Yeah, okay."

————

༺♥༻ After what felt like hours of being at the store with Steve, it was finally time for Stephanie to be with Max. Alone. Together. Hanging out.

Steve pulls up in front of Max's house and Stephanie runs out of the car before Steve could say goodbye. Still, he doesn't pull away when Stephanie knocks on the door.

Max's stepbrother, Billy opens the door.

Stephanie is taken aback by how threatening he looks.

"Uh hi. Is Max home? We were gonna hang out today," Stephanie tries not to sound scared as she talks.

Billy's face doesn't change expression. "How do you know Max?"