20. possibly committing fraud

POSSIBLY COMMITTING FRAUD

June 29th, 1985
9:15 am, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ Stephanie is usually home alone on Sundays.

Steve's working, her parents are working, and Stephanie?

She has the whole house to herself.

That means, watching as much TV as she wants, eating whatever she wants, and most importantly: leaving the house whenever she wants.

But today, she's going to stay home and watch a movie.

Maybe it's one of Steve's tapes.

Maybe it's Fast Times.

Maybe Stephanie will pause and stare at a certain point.

What part?

It's up for imagination.

As Stephanie gets settled on the couch and begins the movie, the phone rings. "Damn," Stephanie sighs, while reaching for the phone.

As soon as she hears the voice on the other end she didn't mind having to pause her movie.

It's Max.

"Hey, Steph! Are you busy?" her voice comes through from the other end.

"Nope. I'm watching a movie right now. Why?" Stephanie asks, pressing play and hoping Max won't hear it.

"Oh, cool. What movie?"

"Uh...Fa-Footloose!" Stephanie mouths a string of swear words at her slip up. "I'm watching Footloose."

"Come to my house. Serious boy drama," Max whispers.

"Uhh, okay?" Stephanie is obviously confused, then realizes that maybe it has to do with Lucas. "I'll bike to your house."

"Okay, hurry. El's here." Max hangs up the phone.

El?

Stephanie jumps off the couch and walks out the front door to her bike, which was stashed behind a bush from the day before.

She gets on her bike and starts the journey to Max's house.

————

༺♥༻ "And then he said he—he missed me. And then he just hung up."

Max paces around her room. "He's a piece of shit."

"You don't say," Stephanie mumbles to herself, feeling the glare from El while looking through Max's comics.

El looks hurt. "What?"

Max continues pacing. "Mike doesn't have jackshit to do today, and his Nana obviously isn't sick." Max stops pacing and looks El in the eyes. "I guarantee you, him and Lucas are playing Atari right now."

El leans forward. "But friends don't lie."

"Yeah, well, boyfriends lie," Max says, her expression becomes more serious. "All the time."