11. at least we're getting our steps in

AT LEAST WE'RE GETTING OUR STEPS IN

November 4th, 1984
6:00 pm, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༻ Max and Stephanie are holding hands while they walk on the old train tracks, swinging their hands back and forth as the rest of the group is walking in front of them, talking about the attack.

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asks, still unsure.

"Yes. He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt," Dustin confirms with a nod.

"He was tiny two days ago," Max argues.

"Well, he's molted three times already," Dustin says as he holds up three fingers.

"Malted?" Steve repeats.

Stephanie scoffs. "Molted, Steve. You learned this in second grade." Stephanie turns to Max and rolls her eyes, making Max laugh.

"When's he gonna molt again?" Lucas asks.

"It's gotta be soon," Dustin insists. "When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it. And so will his friends."

Fabulous.

Steve shines his flashlight around the area. "Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats."

Lucas stops Dustin in his tracks. "Wait, a cat? Dart ate a cat?"

"No, what? No," Dustin stutters, making it painfully obvious he's lying.

Steve shakes his head. "What are you talking about? He ate Mews."

"Mews? Who's Mews?" Max turns to Steve, looking at him as if he's clinically insane.

"It's Dustin's cat." Steve gestures towards Dustin.

"Steve!" Dustin yells, feeling as betrayed as ever.

Lucas hits Dustin in the shoulder. "I knew it! You kept him!"

"No! No. No, I...No, I..." Dustin sputters. "He missed me. He wanted to come home," he tells Lucas.

Lucas crosses his arms. "Bullshit!"

"I didn't know he was a Demogorgan, okay?" Dustin admits, averting his gaze away from Lucas.

Lucas scoffs. "Oh, so now you admit it?"

"Guys, who cares?" Max looks between the two, obviously tired of the bickering.

"Yeah, we have to go," Stephanie says, rolling her eyes.

"I care! You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" Lucas yells, listing out words that mean pretty much nothing to Max and Stephanie.

"So did you!" Dustin defends himself.

"What?"

"You told a stranger the truth!" Dustin shines in flashlight in Max's face.

"A stranger?" Max yells, letting go of Stephanie's hand.

All of the yelling voices quieted when Stephanie noticed Steve shining his flashlight through the woods.