46. minor misdemeanors

MINOR MISDEMEANORS

March 26th, 1986
7:30 pm, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ "What exactly were you all doing at the lake?" Chief Powell asks the four kids sitting in the middle of the Wheelers living room as their parents lurked behind him.

The four look at each other, trying desperately to think of a plausible excuse.

"It's comp-" Dustin starts from the other side of Stephanie.

"We were...uh, we were...going for a walk, yeah, a walk." Stephanie gives Dustin and Lucas a look to try and tell them to get on the same page.

"A walk?" Officer Callahan mocks the girl. "At nine p.m?"

Didn't really think that part through.

"To the lake!" Dustin says, voice getting squeakier with every word, making it too obvious they're lying. "We were gonna take a little swim. Little night swim."

"Dusty." Dustin's mom speaks up. "Someone was just murdered there."

"No, uh, we were going to swim, but then...then we realized that it's, like, way too cold outside anyways..." Stephanie lies, looking to Max for approval as she continues. "So we decided to just hang out by the shore."

"And Nancy." Mrs. Wheeler puts her hand over her forehead as she speaks. "Was she with you at this night swim?"

"No."

"Yes."

Max and Dustin give each other death stares.

"We're not sure." Lucas gives a slight smile.

"She was there." Stephanie continues, bringing her knees to her chest. "But then she left, she didn't say where she was going, though."

"It's all a little confusing." Dustin whispers, squinting his eyes.

"That's when you guys came." Lucas gestures to the police standing around the room.

Max nods, catching on. "Right, and then they dared me to say what I said."

"Oh, yeah." Lucas laughs, turning to Dustin.

Stephanie gives a slight chuckle, trying not to blow what was left of their cover.

"You're lucky you didn't get shot."

The laughter immediately stops.

Chief Powell takes a deep breath, redirecting the conversation. "Have you had any contact with Eddie?"

"That psycho...freak killer?" Dustin drags out, making Stephanie roll her eyes at his obvious nervousness. "God, no."

Dustin, you seriously need to shut up and let me do the talking next time.

"We barely know the guy." Stephanie shrugs while shaking her head back and forth.

"Oh, that's a bunch of bull." Erica steps forward from leaning on the wall.