38. splitting up

SPLITTING UP

March 23rd, 1986
3:00 pm, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ The five are back at Reefer Ricks house for Eddie.

He asked for food so Steve and Stephanie went out before everyone met up to get him enough to last a few days.

The problem is Eddie wasn't exactly warned that they're  coming so when everyone basically runs through the door, Eddie almost falls to the ground, holding the infamous broken beer bottle.

Dustin walks in with the biggest smile. "Delivery service!"

Eddie sighs and rolls his eyes as Max snd Stephanie give awkward waves.

Dustin gives the bags to Eddie and he tears through them like a raccoon digging through the trash.

"So we got, uh, some good news and some bad news." Dustin sighs, sitting down on a nearby stool. "How do you prefer it?"

"Bad news first, always." Eddie says through bites of food.

"Alright, bad news. We tapped into the Hawkins PD dispatch with our Cerebro, and they're definitely looking for you." Dustin sucks through his teeth, not wanting to actually say the bad news.

"Also, they're pretty convinced you killed Chrissy." Stephanie adds, the same twisted up expression as Dustin.

Max nods. "Like, a hundred perfect kind of convinced."

Eddie turns back to Dustin. "And the good news?"

"Your name hasn't gone public yet." Robin answers for Dustin. "But if we found out about you, it's only a matter of time before others do, too. And once that gets out, everyone and their shallow-minded mother is gonna be gunning for you."

"Hunt the freak, right?" Eddie looks up to Robin.

"Oh, speaking of hunt, uh, I talked to Lucas this morning and apparently Jason and his goons are you know, hunting you down." Stephanie adds to the conversation. She realizes that everyone had gone quiet, meaning that it probably wasn't the best time to break the news. "Not that that's...the good news." She clears her throat and looks around the room to avoid the stares.

Dustin breaks the silence. "So, before that happens, we need to find Vecna, kill him, and prove your innocence."

Eddie gives a disbelieving smile. "That's all, Dustin? That's all?"

"Yeah, no, that's pretty much it." He shrugs, definitely not getting the hint.

Stephanie turns to Max and whispers, "That doesn't really sound like good news to me."

"Because it's not." Max shrugs, rolling her eyes at Dustin.

"Listen, Eddie," Robin starts, preparing for a long speech. "I know everything Dustin is saying sounds totally delusional, but we've actually been through this kind of thing before. I mean, they have a...a few times, and...and I have once. Mine was more human-flesh-based, theirs was more smoke-related, but bottom line is, collectively, I really feel like we got this."